D14 Timber wagon 7mm

Please use this forum for queries and answers about LNWR wagons
Andy Westcott

Re: D14 Timber wagon 7mm

Post by Andy Westcott » Mon May 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Managed to adjust photo to fit now.

I'll try to make it to the modelers day, Kenilworth is only just down the road from me. Trouble is i work most Saturdays, so we'll have to see.

The wood effect is only painted on, then graining by fibreglass brush, finally dry-brushed to highlight.
Andy Westcott

David Bond

Post by David Bond » Tue May 03, 2016 6:22 am

It would be good to see you there if you can make it, we will probably be there 10am until at least 5 so feel free to pop in at any time in the day

Interesting, what base coat and then further coasts do you use? I have been trying a light humbrol base colour with then darker washes on top but the result is hit and miss

murryb

Post by murryb » Thu May 05, 2016 7:42 am

I came across some pictures taken of old wooden wagons on I think the scalefour site and this were a silver/grey.
There was a etched brass 7mm D14 kit by wagon works years ago but have not come across any second hand.
I see in the O Gauge Gazette that Just Like The Real Thing has released a Rectank Kit. Am impressed with Andy's Timber wagon.
Is it possible to get a photo of the whole wagon.

Murry

murryb

Post by murryb » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:54 am

I am wanting to add the fastening rings to my wagon. Looking at the photos on LNWR Wagons there seem to be two types of anchoring points. Two large rings fastened at the top and at the bottom a u shaped casting fastened to the ring and to the underside of the solebar and at the other end two smaller rings fastened at the top and bottom to the solebar, hope this makes sense and would I be correct.

David Bond

Post by David Bond » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 am

Hi Murry,

I am not 100% on what you are saying, but the 4 fixing points per side on these wagons were a bolt through the solebar to which a singular chain link was attached with a hook. Studying the side elevation on page 160/161, the end chains which were stored in the pockets look to have been attached to the individual chain link permanently, so why they still needed the hook I am unsure.

Kind Regards

David

murryb

Post by murryb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:55 am

David that was what I thought when I first looked at the photo's and then I wondered if they weren't hooks but a anchoring point to the underside of the sole bar. If you look at the photo on page 158 the two rings on the RH side are a different size. This also shows up in the other photo's and the drawings. So are the larger permanent fastenings always on the left. Might never know the answer.

murryb

Post by murryb » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 am

Have nearly finished but need to make a decision regards the chains. They look larger than they actually are. The hooks are from a NZR model supplier.
The colour of the deck turned out a bit different to what I was expecting but am happy with it.
Attachments
rsz_1d14_chains.jpg
rsz_1d14_chains.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 397 times