30ft 1in Kits

Queries and answers about all aspects of modelling the LNWR should be posted here.
murryb

30ft 1in Kits

Post by murryb » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 am

I am thinking of purchasing the 7mm Parcel van kit marketed by Gladiator models.Any comments please.
Murry

Mike Williams

Re: 30ft 1in Kits

Post by Mike Williams » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:54 pm

It would appear not Murry!

I have a related query. A friend has aquired two 7mm 30ft 1in carriage models from the ex-Barry Jones Modellers World / ACME kits. He would like at least one more Brake Third to complete the train, but it appears they are no longer available. I know they made:
30ft 1in D361 Brake 3rd
30ft 1in D297 3rd
30ft 1in Picnic Saloon
30ft 1in D385 full brake
Were there any others? ACME list only Gauge 1 kits now, but include an "LNWR 30ft 1In Pink Saloon". Any idea what that is supposed to be?

Does anyone have a D361 Brake Third (made or unmade) they they don't want?

Finally, these kits are now very old, so has nothing better been made since?

Mike

murryb

Post by murryb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:33 am

Mike
Gladiator list the kits you mention also a range of LNWR wagon kits with some new kits in the future.Very good to deal with.

Murry

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Thank you very much indeed Murry.

I'm amazed how kits get handed around. Somebody makes them and sells all he can, then sells the rights and tooling to somebody else. He has another batch made without any changes then sells it on to a third person who also does a batch. By this time the new owner has no idea who made them, whether they are accurate etc. How times have changed from when Keyser did the research, made the patterns, did the castings, sold the kits - and life was easy to understand. maybe I'm just old and out of date!

Thanks very much anyway.

Mike

stephenweston

Post by stephenweston » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Hello Mike
Kits for a brake third and third composite appeared on Ebay this week - I missed them both. Worth keeping an eye open at Exhibitions where they can appear in the 'miscellaneous box' under the table. I posted a 'wanted' request for them on he GOG web site in January - no reply yet.
The kits are basic, and need a fair bit of detailing, and the instructions are really clues on what to do. However, the basic nature of the kit allows you to work out what goes where but looking at the illustrations. They are cheap and cheerful and more than suitable for a garden layout as they are, or with a bit of work for a posher layout. I have half a dozen or so kits in the 'to do' drawer. Picnic salons seem to be over represented in the drawer......
As already mentioned, Gladiator do them again together with a couple of 4 wheelers (£105 and £85 respectively)
best wishes
Steve

richardpowell

Post by richardpowell » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread. I'm most of the way through building a 30' 1" Picnic Saloon:

My kit is labelled 'Produced by ACORN for FIRST CLASS COACHES

I'm getting close to the painting and lining stage, as this is my first 7mm model I'd be grateful for any advice people can offer

Richard

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Very nice Richard. A vehicle I know very well indeed of course!

If I may make a couple of suggestions before painting, then I'll leave you to decide whether they are nit-picking:

1. The headstocks (bufferbeams) on the real carriages are channel section steel, but have iron castings bolted to their ends so that they look like they are made of wood. You might like to fit something similar on the ends of your solebars behind the thin bufferbeams.

2. The luggage compartment on this particular carriage has a pair of rooflights, one either side. Maybe the kit manufacturer didn't know about them, but having rebuilt a pair of real rooflights, painted them and screwed them in place into the roof of this actual carriage, they are dear to my heart!

On the subject of painting - which you ask about - I suspect others on here have more recent experience of this than I do.

Mike

David Bond

Post by David Bond » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 am

If you havent already got a copy get Model Rail Journal 52, "Tackling Complex Coach Livery" by our very own Jol Wilkinson. Read it, digest and read it again

Others are far better placed than me to comment on the actual painting but from my first few goes which have gone straight back to paint stripper I would say practice on scrap before the coach, then patience patience patience is the key.

Coach is looking a lovely build by the way :)

richardpowell

Post by richardpowell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Mike Williams wrote:
1. The headstocks (bufferbeams) on the real carriages are channel section steel, but have iron castings bolted to their ends so that they look like they are made of wood. You might like to fit something similar on the ends of your solebars behind the thin bufferbeams.

2. The luggage compartment on this particular carriage has a pair of rooflights, one either side.
Thanks Mike. The wooden filler behind the bufferbeam I am aware of, I'm planning to use a stack of plasticard for that, so it can wait until the soldering is finished. The rooflights - are they the same as the ones drawn by A.M Gunn in the 30' 1" book?

Richard

richardpowell

Post by richardpowell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:24 pm

David Bond wrote:If you havent already got a copy get Model Rail Journal 52, "Tackling Complex Coach Livery" by our very own Jol Wilkinson. Read it, digest and read it again

Others are far better placed than me to comment on the actual painting but from my first few goes which have gone straight back to paint stripper I would say practice on scrap before the coach, then patience patience patience is the key.

Coach is looking a lovely build by the way :)
Thank you David, I'm quite pleased with it. 7mm SG is a bit different to my usual scale. I'l go and search for a copy of MRJ 52

Richard