Wagons - What kit would you like to see?

Queries and answers about all aspects of modelling the LNWR should be posted here.
Philip Millard

Re: Wagons - What kit would you like to see?

Post by Philip Millard » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:14 am

David Geen already offers a very nice (but heavy!) white metal kit for D.88. It does not make much sense for another manufacturer to duplicate this model.

White metal is much more suitable for low volume production than is plastic injection moulding, where the initial tooling cost is very high. Ratio were very disappointed with sales of their LNWR wagons and coaches 30 years ago when presumably the interest was higher than today. I am told that they lost money on these kits as sales never recovered the tooling costs.

I would be surprised if nowadays there was a sufficient market for new LNWR kits. Possibly a return to scratch building is indicated. 40-45 years ago I used to scratch build in Plastikard, and these models are still in service. Of course, they took a long time and these days my eyesight might not stand the strain of cutting and affixing the bolt heads from .010" cubes or entomological pins.

The truth is that I do not really want any more wagons. I have been modelling for over 60 years and I now have over 300 goods wagons in my fleet. My layout is full, my display cases are full, my cupboards are full, my drawers are full, my storage boxes are full. A new model can only displace an existing model, or go straight into archival storage. I do have a couple of w/m kits yet to build (Geen LYR Fish Vans), but I don't expect that I will buy any more. I just might be tempted by a D.447 Motor Car Van, which is of course NPCS, not a wagon.
"A man would do nothing, if he waited until he could do it so well that no one at all would find fault with what he has done." - Cardinal Newman

simonweston

Post by simonweston » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:02 pm

I've got very few wagons but 5-6 to build, so could store some of yours if it would help ?. trying to get a couple of David Geen D88's but no answer to email so far. Will try phone next.

However, Cambrian have been planning a new wagon for some time so no need to pursuade him of the market availability. But perhaps we could guide him towards a D45 instead of an open wagon.

alecralph

Post by alecralph » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:31 am

I suspect that any commercial organisation needs to know that there is a demand for a specific loco, wagon or carriage. It would therefore seem that one approach would be to gather as many preliminary orders from the membership for a limited number of “popular” wagons via the newsletter say rather than the forums. At that stage it might then be possible to commission a model of the most popular. This might be the way to go for a model from the growing 3D printing market?

I speak from the sidelines as I use virtual modelling to create my carriages and wagons – currently building a Diagram 32 on top of the continued development of non-corridor carriages. Storage is only limited by the size of my internal and external hard drives!
Creating virtual models of L&NWR carriages on TSSH.

murryb

Post by murryb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:00 am

Mercian Already market a 21ft covered carriage truck , a 21ft Horse Box and a carriage truck.
I did look at the doing a Motor Car Van in Resin but it was suggested that the sides would not be smooth enough.In researching the Motor Car Van I got side tracked.
Is there any other way of contacting Mike Osborne other than snail mail as I am interested in his brake van.

Murry

Philip Millard

Post by Philip Millard » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:54 pm

simonweston wrote:I've got very few wagons but 5-6 to build, so could store some of yours if it would help ?. trying to get a couple of David Geen D88's but no answer to email so far. Will try phone next.

Try david[at]davidgeen[dot]co[dot]uk
"A man would do nothing, if he waited until he could do it so well that no one at all would find fault with what he has done." - Cardinal Newman

pstanton

Post by pstanton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Although we are gentlemen I don't see many hands raised to support Gary's idea; although I suspect some of us pledge to the Bill Bedford proposals?

I have been in correspondence with Cambrian and suggest I should re-awaken it in the light of this thread.

As their existing proposals or, as Simon suggests, a D45?

I quote Barry from 2016:-

"The second half of next year is when we hope to do them, but might slip into 2017.

The intention is to do the one plank with the LNWR body, and also as the LMS container conversion, probably as two separate kits.

I will endeavour to let you know when there is more news."

Regards

Peter S.

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Peter,

If Cambrian prefer a single plan open, and since the Ratio kits still turn up and Bill Bedford has done a D1, maybe they could be directed to a D103, 18ft version, and an alternative with LMS hinged sides?

But I see they already do an LMS D1986 single plank, so that seems a bit similar to me.

Mike

Philip Millard

Post by Philip Millard » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:33 am

Again, David Geen does a very nice w/m D.103, and I do not see a lot of point in duplicating it. As far as 7mm scale is concerned I am doubtful if any LNWR wagon is a commercial proposition, that is would earn meaningful money. The best you could hope for is a hobbyist who makes his (say resin cast) models available more widely.

simonweston

Post by simonweston » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:41 pm

LNWR Ratio wagons still in they're current range although they don't do the separate chassis any more. Decided to follow Philips advice and have a go at plastic, have got a few Ratio kits to build so will use chassis from them till find chassis only pack - or get them from LRM.

Think thats a majority in favour of a D45 then Peter.

pstanton

Post by pstanton » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:59 pm

I followed through with Cambrian but they seem to be winding down? Don't think the LNWR wagon will appear.

Just looked at Gary's sort of crowd funding suggestion; wonder if that might persuade Ratio to do a rerun of their kits? I see the two wagon set with the loco coal wagon is standing at £16-00 on Ebay today! They still do the chassis as an item so presume the moulds might still be useable?

Peter S.