LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 pm 

Ive been going through some old Railway Modellers and in July 1968 page 223, Cyril Freezer states:

"It is suprising just how long old liveries can hang on. I saw an L.N.W.R. wagon in 1938, looking quite fresh."

Does anyone know what wagon it was that Cyril saw? Does anyone know of a later date where a wagon was still in revenue earning service still in LNWR livery?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:01 pm 

I don't know how reliable Cyril Freezer was. Maybe instead of seeing it himself he had read February 1939 Model Railway News which reported that a correspondent had sent them a photo taken on 8th October 1938 of a wagon at Cardington sidings. Not only was it still in pre-Grouping LNWR livery, but looked very smart and clean. The Editor comments on several other recent examples including an "LBSC wagon in the Glasgow area 18 months ago", and "GC and G&SWR wagons" too.

The accompanying picture was an LNWR D84.

Maybe Freezer was that correspondent? Perhaps we will never know.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 am 

Was the photographer not A.E.West? I don't see this as incredible - a few carriages retained LNWR livery up to withdrawal in the mid-1930s, at least a decade after the grouping. The last ex-LNWR carriage to be repainted received LMS livery in 1929.