LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 am 

I would be interested in the views of others on here about the increasing trend to classify NPCS as "wagons". Vehicles like CCTs, Horseboxes, Motor Car Vans and the like were always classified by the LNWR as carriages. They were built and maintained at Wolverton and used carriage underframes and components, they always appeared in the LNWR carriage diagram books and never in the wagon diagram books.

A few months ago the Vintage Carriages Trust moved some (not all, but seemingly a random selection) of such vehicles from their carriages database into their wagons database. Sometimes contributors make the same mistake on this forum, but that's understandable. This week I noticed that our own Webbsite now includes some NPCS under wagons - e.g. 2mm and 3mm models, perhaps because contributors sent in details of them in that format.

I know little about the LMS, but have a vague memory that they also switched some NPCS into their wagons diagram book, but should that have any bearing on what we do - the LNWR Society?

So, I ask, am I being pedantic? Does it matter? Should we press groups like the VCT to get it right. What do you think? And if you think it DOES matter, what can we do about it?

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:14 am 

As you would expect, I think it matters. There is a whole load of difference between NPCS and a wagon, as you have indicated. Perhaps an officer of the Society ought to write to the VCT.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 pm 

Guilty as charged - either contributors or as taken over (or me).
An interesting question and of course have an opinion - not fixed forever though. Parcels and Post office vans always think of as NPCS - they look more like carriages for a start. Otherwise with livestock think it depends on the context, when discussing these vehicles as part of LNWR stock then NPCS every time - hopefully they are in correct sections on Webbsite and Zenfolio site. However when looking for models or kits then always go instinctively to wagon section. Often wonder why not there as sure they are in a suppliers range, then remember they should be in carriages/NPCS section. CCT's look like hybrid so remember they are NPCS.
Maybe it is as a relative beginner am still learning and overcoming instinct by facts :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:26 pm 

Mike,

As the LNWR Society I think we should stick to the classification we have, and the NPCS should be listed in the carriages section as the LNWR had it. They were very much built to be able to run in passenger trains with the carriages after all.

I would suggest that you open dialogue with the Webb master and discuss why they have been listed in the manner they have, and if corrections need making, help with the required information. We should have our own house right before we go knocking on others doors

Externally it may be that the Vintage Carriages Trust just did not know/understand the information they have, and have done what they thought appropriate. An email asking why the changes have been made and pointing out why you think the changes are wrong might be the first step in understanding of the changes

David

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:43 pm 

I agree with Mike, Philip and David. Stick to the LNWR way of doing things, not just because it is "correct", but because it gets confusing if they're NPCCS in one arena and "wagons" in another.

Some other (lesser) companies did treat (eg) fish trucks as "wagons", but that need not concern us as students of the LNWR way of doing things, and anyone studying 2 or more companies just needs to be a bit more clued up!