LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:47 am 

Spotted this on e-bay. A large motor car is being (un?)loaded from a ship at a location which looks a bit like Kyle of Lochalsh to me but is probably on the LNWR. The train of wagons is a real mix with (left to right):

private owner wagon
LNWR 21ft carriage truck
probably Midland wagon
LNWR D88 van
LNWR D33 van
what I assume is an empty cask wagon

All are lettered LMS, so the date must be well after 1923 but the D33 roof door van looks to have brake son one side only. There is a light mark where the brake block might be, but no sign of the lever or the pin rack.

Does anyone know what the non-LNWR cask wagon is?

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:10 pm 

Hi Mike

Is it one of the North British empty cask wagons, as modelled by Ratio, that we had a bit of correspondence over recently?

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:27 am 

Mike
Possibly an open (i.e.roofless) cattle or sheep truck, that the Scottish pre-grouping companies operated for a while? I think the Highland for instance had several.
I would agree that the photo has the look of Kyle of Lochalsh, but cannot be certain.
Quentin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:38 pm 

Doubt its NBR Peter as its lettered LMS. I was wondering about Midland empty casks or empty barrels?

The D33 really interests me, having brakes one side at such a very late late. Everyone will recognise it as an LNWR D33 ... or, as the photo just might (but might not) be in Scotland, could it be a Caledonian van?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:57 pm 

Ah, didn't spot the LMS Mike! Am going for my new glasses on Wednesday!!!

Certainly though my first reaction was as yours; it looks like Kyle of Lochalsh!

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm 

A "Midland" friend of mine (no, please .. its not his fault!) says the empty whatever wagon is NOT Midland. He thinks it may be Scottish. Any suggestions?

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 am 

Not every dockside is Kyle (although many modellers might think so!). Neither the track on the quay nor the land beyond the sound seem to me to match that location - the hills of Skye rise much more steeply across the water, and looking towards the end of the dock there should be a transverse track (wagoon turntables at each end) and the station buildings should be where the vessel being loaded is obviously moored. Sorry can't help with the rolling stock ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am 

Mike Williams wrote:
A "Midland" friend of mine (no, please .. its not his fault!) says the empty whatever wagon is NOT Midland. He thinks it may be Scottish. Any suggestions?

Mike

Yes Mike, see my earlier posting above re pre-group Scottish livestock wagons. Sorry I cannot be more specific at present.
Quentin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:22 pm 

Thank you Quentin, I was still looking into that and now see that the Caledonian had some similar wagons for fish traffic which sounds possible.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:06 pm 

If it helps to ID the wagons, I'm now reasonably sure the location is actually Oban, ex-Callander and Oban Railway, a constituent of the LMS when it was formed in 1923.