LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: WAGON BOOK Volume 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:30 pm 

At the risk of getting my head blown off I'll put it above the parapet and ask what the current situation is as regards to getting LNW wagons volume 3 published in my lifetime? given the gap between volumes 1 and 2 . Speaking to Simon Castens ,the new owner of Wild Swan Publishing and an acquaintance of mine of many years , the impression given is that the chances of it ever getting published are extremely slim so ..........
Is anything being done by the Society to convince WS to reverse this decision and go ahead with it or, perhaps, getting the manuscript back and try another publisher?
Surely the longer it all drags on the potential sales volume will shrink be it lack of interest or the Grim Reaper.
With everything else that's been going on in the past 12 months within the Society something worthwhile such as this book seems to have been put put on the back burner........which is a crying shame,

Back behind the parapet,

John

John

Post subject: Re: WAGON BOOK Volume 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 pm 

Hello John, thanks for the question.

We do have 'Wagons Volume 3' on the Committee agenda for this Saturday when the latest position will be reviewed. We'll then update the Forum following the meeting.

Best, Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 am 

I seemed to have jumped the gun a bit......after a conversation yesterday with Simon C at Wild Swan it appears that they have done a U-turn and the book will now be published 'at the end of this year' . A further phone conversation with Ted Talbot confirmed that he had been in negotiations with WS previously and he will be putting further details in the next newsletter.
In all a satisfactory result...start saving up !

John

John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:39 pm 

Just a note on this one.

I went to Bill Hudson's bookshop at Matlock yesterday and had a good conversation about sales.

They confirmed that the second book had not sold so well as the first and the feedback was that people didn't like the soft back format?

Yes; I remember all the debate in committee about volume two but feedback from Bill Hudson's is valuable!

All the best

Peter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:14 pm 

There's a fair proportion of Wild Swan's output that are soft back and are very popular, albeit with GWR somewhere in them. Also it's a question of cost as hardback books are far more expensive but that said from what I'm told ,LNW wagons 3 will indeed come out as a hardback volume.

John

John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:43 am 

Rumour has it that both Peter and John might be happy. There just might be a hardback option and you might not have to save up quite as much as you thought.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:07 pm 

Somewhat of a bargain Mike.....so I hear,

John

John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:17 am 

Are there any other LNWR books on the horizon. Personally wouldn't mind seeing one on NPCS, dreams are free.
In Vol 2 there is a list off appendices but for some reason are not included might they be added to Vol 3 if indeed it does get printed which I really hope it does. I wouldn't mind ordering one and putting a deposit down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 pm 

Looks like it's out about Easter then...........

John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:20 am 

Hi John,

The very latest news I have is that it will hopefully be published in May. As such I am going to open up an pre-order book for it, as hopefully I will be able to supply it at reduced cost against cover price

David