LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wagon internal colours
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:21 pm 

The outside of the open wagons was painted grey, but what about the inside? Were the side planks bothered to be painted at all, if so what colour?
what about the floor, was it painted or creosoted maybe?
Does the period matter and the type of wagon (one plank, 4 plank, coal wagon?) make a difference?

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:28 am 

David,

I've never seen any evidence that they were painted or treated at all. So, for a model, clean dirt I think!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:50 pm 

I'm sure I've got an article by George Dent on finishing wooden bodied wagons. I'll have. A browse through my library but I think Mike's clean dirt is about right! I tend to use Humbrol Dark Earth with some black mixed in with a part loaded brush.

For steel wagons all I remember is a rust tone with coal dust, ore etc mixed in. The rust would be worn off by the load moving but it didn't Polish the steel though!

Peter S.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:59 pm 

Some companies (long before the wartime/BR austerity time) didn't paint the outside of their wagons. Probably this was a short-sighted view, but I've always assumed any paint on the inside of an open wagon would be coated with a mixture of soot/ash/trackway dirt before it reached its first siding, and would vanish for good as soon as it carried its first load. Hence, like Peter, I've always painted my opens with dark earth/natural wood, then added grime - more for coal/minerals, a bit less for general merchandise. If you'd like to see a few photos of a really weathered interior (albeit not a L&NWR prototype) there's a thread running over on the S4 Forum - I think you'll find the photos start here.