LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:34 pm 

Just noticed all the replies. I'll get in touch with Peter.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:42 pm 

Interesting this, looking at the more expansive photo of the goods yard it would appear that, apart from a couple of wagons, no sign of ownership appears on the rest. Could it be that the sides are so dirty the diamonds have been obliterated ? , also the wagon number does not yet appear on the wagon ends in all cases which would probably indicate that the photo was indeed taken nearer to 1880.

John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 pm 

Mike (Prospero) says: "(information on the truck mounted crane, signal/lamp? in the centre would be very useful too)"

The elevated disc signal controls access from Sidings 1, 2 & 3 to the Up Main line, through the points at bottom right. The associated trap points in each of these three sidings are just visible - that in Siding 1 slightly more obvious that the other two. Three traps had to be provided, as a single trap at the point where they converged would not give sufficient clearance from the main line. Of course, the disc had to be in rear of the traps, which it was by a yard or two.

Also of interest are the Up Main Home signals for No.2 box, to the right. The right hand doll with lower distant arm for No.1 Box applies to the route forward on the Up Main, the left hand doll is for Up Main to Up Platform. I think these signals are of the LNWR 1876 pattern, as shown in "LNWR Signalling", but I haven't checked.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm 

The crane wagon prompts an interesting thought! The crane wagon at Butterley might be of similar format but I can't find any shots of the crane itself. It does illustrate the use of the vehicle though. I am told by the Midland Railway people it was found and "Rescued" from Chaddesden sidings.

Wagon restorers welcome; Butterley would provide materials!!

I'll keep searching.

Regards

Peter S.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 pm 

Thanks Reg and Peter. I have added your comments to two web pages:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrcov3728.htm - for Reg's comments with a larger image

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms ... v3728a.htm - for Peter's coments

Many thanks for your help

Mike