LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Special Cattle Wagon D26
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 am 

When would the wagons horizontal vacuum cylinders have been changed to the vertical cylinder. I have just received a kit for this wagon and is supplied with the vertical cylinder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 am 

I would have thought the answer was never - the vehicles would have retained their horizontal vacuum sacks throughout their lives. Kits very often have this sort of error in them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 am 

I am very glad Philip wrote that, as I was thinking the same. The only possibility I can think of is that odd renewals were built right up to the Grouping, so maybe, just maybe, one or more of those later ones were built with a vertical cylinder.

If you have all the compensation gear for the brakes at each axle, it shouldn't be difficult to change the cylinder, remove the V hangers (which I assume are in the kit?) and backdate it to match the available drawings.

Any chance of a picture of the wagon side so we can see whether it matches the style of the early or late ones? Refer to the wagon book to compare.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:47 am 

Murry, I thought you modelled in 7mm? The LNWRS list of kits here:

http://lnwrs.org.uk/Modelling/7mmwagons.php

doesn't include a D26, so please tell us more ....

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 am 

The LNWR wagon book shows No.42926 which was a special replacement of 1912 with V hangers snd rolling ring vacuum cylinder, as one might expect at this date. The olthers built in 1902 all had the horizontal vacuum sacks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:07 am 

It is a new kit by Geoff Stratford ex Gladiator which I have been waiting on for a while. The bottom picture of 49626 which is a replacement of a D23 on page 141 of Vol 2 would indicate a vertical cylinder. The change in hand brake to cam action would that be a reason to change also page 143 M43966

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 am 

Photo of wagon under construction. Rubber band to hold while glue goes off. The body and under frame are in two parts and when finish joined together a bit like the Mercian Kits.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 pm 

That looks nice. The vertical framing at the top of the side is not like the earliest photos, so this probably does represent a later example and correct. As Philip suggested, I don't think the cylinder would have been changed, just that the last few built (maybe four?) had the then-current vertical one.

It looks like resin, or is it a direct print in some unknown plasticy material? Nice anyway.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am 

It is a resin kit Mike. Another question what colour for the inside of the drover's compartment please.
The only problem with this posting is that I will have to finish in a reasonable time to avoid question's Have you finished

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 pm 

"It is a resin kit" damned - that means it can't be scaled up for me! It does look very nice.

Mike