LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:53 pm 

From the motor cars and the lady's cloche hat, the date should be c.1925-30, and I like the idea of Oban as the location. But 25-inch plans dated 1898 and 1933 in The Callander & Oban Railway by C.E.J.Fryer (Oakwood Press, 1989) don't show the same layout of tracks as in the photograph.

Also, the most prominent building in Oban, 'McCaig's Folly' - an unfinished copy of the Roman Coliseum built on a hill c.1900 - would, I think, have been very visible in the left background.

Harry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:03 pm 

Just for the record - so-and-so puppy starting the 47th fight of the morning just as I was typing - what my last post meant to say was "Callander and Oban Railway, absorbed by the Caledonian Railway, a constituent ...".

However, taking account of Harry's comments and reviewing the contours of the visible hillsides again, I believe there's a possibility it is actually Stranraer, ex-Glasgow South Western Railway (which was indeed a constituent of the London, Midland and Scottish when it was formed in 1923). The track plan is closer to that shown, the ship is docked in the right place, and that rather curious structure at the left-hand side of the slide is matched by a building/shed in that position on the 1895 25" map. HTH.