LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:34 am 

My main interest with respect to railways is virtual modelling for train simulation and in particular LNWR rolling stock. At this moment in time I am working my way through Philip's books on non-corridor coaches, and to date have created virtual models of 28ft and 42ft arc roof diagrams and I'm currently working up 30ft 1in diagrams. These together with other available references are allowing me to make a not unreasonable representation although they are far from perfect and I should imagine that in some circumstances might draw some criticism. However to my mind they are acceptable and when I make them available for others to use in train simulation activities should help to increase interest in LNWR.
Attached is a screenshot of a Diagram 360 Brake Third from the 30ft 1in range that illustrates what can be achieved, although there is still room to improve my modelling techniques.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:52 pm 

Nice to see your progress in virtual modelling - I think this type of modelling is really good right now but has a lot of potential for the future with improvements in computer technology - I'm currently trying to do the Charnwood Forest Railway which was operated by the LNWR - slow progress for me though.

Cheers
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:53 am 

I have now completed virtual models for 28ft, 30ft 1in, 42ft and 45ft non-corridor arc roof coaches and they are currently being checked prior to upload to the MSTS forum that I belong to. I am now moving onto 50ft non-corridor arc roof coaches where a number of basic layouts have numerous variations - see Philip's book which is my bible so to speak.
I should be able to generate virtual models to form all 12 service sets, however I have not yet worked out which sets some of the variations are included. For example there is a requirement for 13 7-compartment firsts which have diagram numbers D112, D113 and D114 and if anyone can shed light on where they were used I would be very grateful. Obviously I need to read the relevant chapter again to make sure that I haven't missed the answers. This also applied to the 7 compartment composite (D187) where I'm not sure in which sets the 7 compartment third (D290) variation may have been used.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:57 am 

Does page 52 of the Non-Corridor carriages book not cover this? And page 61 for the D.187 made into thirds. If that does not give the information you need, then it is just not available.

A small detail - the yellow lining on the ventilators above the doors does not go all around the vent, but is confined to a horizontal line on the bottom edge of each of the three louvres.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:47 pm 

Philip
Thanks for the comments, and I will revisit Pages 52 and 61.
Alec

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:52 am 

Based on the page numbers supplied and re-reading the text I have chosen which services used the 50ft coach diagram derivatives.

Within the 45ft coach range as we know there were four specific sets for the Manchester-Buxton services. Can anyone advise me of typical locomotives used to haul these? The following are available for me to use: Claughton, Experiment, Prince of Wales, 19in Goods and Coal Tank. I should hasten to add that these virtual models have been created by others.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:33 am 

Sorry - none of your engines are at all suitable for the Manchester - Buxton suburban services. In later years these were worked almost exclusively by Whale 4-4-2T engines, before 1906 I would guess by 0-6-2T Watford tanks. Around the grouping (or perhaps after WW1) some 4-6-2T appeared.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:17 pm 

Ah well never mind! I haven't tried building virtual locomotives yet, so in the meantime I'll have to make do with what's available.

I've now moved onto the 50ft x 8ft "Suburban" units, after which comes the other 50ft coaches and the 54ft and 57ft ones as well.

None of them are exact models and compromise has been the name of the game and hence are unlikely to satisfy the purists, but the task of putting them together and running them on a virtual railway route gives me great pleasure and satisfaction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:20 am 

I'm still beavering away at my virtual models of non-corridor coaches and have just completed the 50ft x 8ft Arc roof "Suburban" carriages. I have divided them into the districts in which they are reported to have operated. Here is a screenshot of the 7 coach formation used on the Birmingham - Sutton Coldfield service. In this picture it is shown behind a "Prince of Wales" 4-6-0, which I would guess is probably not appropriate. I have now completed virtual models for 28ft. 30ft 1in, 42ft, 45ft and the 50ft noted above. I have set myself the task of completing virtual models of as many of the non-corridor carriages in Philip Millard's books. They will of course require a degree of compromise for some of the modelling software limitations and of course my own limitations which are many!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:39 pm 

Amazing modern technology! Congratulations on your virtual models, and I am glad that my book has been useful to you.