LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: D352 Security Bars Query
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:22 pm 

Another query

Drawings of the Diagram 352 carriage by J.P.Richards and I.Tattersall show that there are 5 horizontal security bars on the luggage compartment as built, but in the picture taken in 1933 of the carriage on page 33 of 'L&NWR Non-Corridor carriages' there appears to be only 4

The question is, is the drawing correct for the LNWR period, and the LMS altered the vehicle to 4 security bars, or was the vehicle built with just 4 bars, and the LNWR changed the livery only?

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 am 

There were two versions of D.352. It is quite possible that the early versions had four bars in the windows of the brake compartment, and the later version had five. JPR was pretty reliable. The 56ft 0in brake thirds D.333A also had two variants of window bars. But I have to confess that another possibility is an error in Ian Tattersall's drawing. You should always prefer the evidence of a photograph to that of a drawing, even an official works drawing, where this sort of detail (often not shown on a GA) may have varied in practice. At this stage the answer may turn out to be elusive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:46 am 

Philip,

The gentleman who raised the query, one Sandy Croall, sends many thanks to you for the information provided

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 pm 

This is off-topic but seems like a good opportunity to make newer members aware that Sandy was a very early LNWRS member and did great work in our formative years. Indeed, he was one of only two or three who did all the important jobs for several years.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:36 pm 

Mike,

I have read his name in the 40th book, a former Secretary I believe for 12 years

So what else did he get up too? And why did we not make him a president?

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:48 pm 

David,

So far as I recall, Sandy also edited either Premier News or Premier Notes, as the Journal and Newsletter were known at the time. In fact I thought he edited both at different times.

Returning to the subject of this thread, I have seen letters from Jim Richards with sketches of different numbers of window bars, but which vehicles I don't know. There is an on-going project to type out all of his letters, scan the sketches and make these available to all. But the project has stalled due to a shortage of typists. Any volunteers?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:14 am 

Mike,

Any more details, i.e. how far is the project along, how many letters remain to be typed etc is the intention to make them available as a portfolio style book?

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:29 am 

I'm usually available for typing jobs, if the originals have been scanned so my (remote!) location isn't a difficulty. One of the few transferable skills the Government taught me (on those late evenings when a Minister wanted a brief urgently and the typing pool had long since gone home ...).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:59 am 

Well thats one volunteer, id be up for doing some as well if needed

Dal-t,
You might also want to consider the appeal for an additional proof reader which is in the latest newsletter?

David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:43 pm 

Nice try, David (and yes, it is another skill you develop preparing briefs for people who think they're much more important than they really are), but I already offered my services for that one but, as we used to say in polite cricketing circles, was 'not used'. Much as I may seem from time to time like a bovine in in a porcelain retail facility, I can take a hint!