LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:06 am 

Gentlemen,

A query has arose on RMWEB as to what the item is at the end of the LNWR carriage, and its purpose

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... of-detail/

Attachment:
post-6979-0-49533800-1495803528.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

David

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:57 pm 

I think it is a duck board associated with the water tank.

Gary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:27 am 

The normal duck (or foot) board, was found only on corridor and lavatory carriages with a high roof profile. This is a non-corridor carriage. I don't think it is really to do with the water tank filler, though. That was located some way away from the brake end. Thie device on this roof is much larger than the normal duck board, and I don't think I have encountered it before. I will look into it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:30 pm 

I have now turned up a Wolverton drawing No.9184 dated 27/04/07, which shows these roof platforms. They were 18ins wide and 10ins long, standing 4ins high from the roof and with the top surface consisting of 4 x 2ins wide transverse strips 3/4in deep. These platfforms were fitted only to high-roof coaches (which were built from 1907 onwards) so the requirment for them was seen from the outset. But they were never retro-fitted to cove roof stock.

The platform in the photo appears to be somewhat more than 4ins deep. I have now turned up other photos showing these deeper platforms, but at the moment I cannot work out to which vehicles they were fitted, or why the difference, as many photos from all periods show the low type. I am not sure that they were to do with the lavatory fillers, as WCJS Post Office D.84 was fitted with the high platforms but had no lavatory. I will keep looking into this, but the platforms are not shown on the GA drawings.