LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm 

I am in the process of completing some virtual models of 50ft x 9ft cove roof non-corridor lavatory suburban carriages used on the services noted in the thread title - namely Diagrams 102, 153, 376, 325 and 326.
Can any one advise me which type of locomotive would have been typically used to haul these? The 4 Rugby sets had 6 coaches and the one Northampton set had 7 coaches.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:54 am 

OK then; let me ask this question differently.

I have virtual models of the the following passenger engines, namely Precedent, George V and Renown Classes.
I also have virtual models of the following passenger tanks, namely 0-6-2, 2-4-2, 4-4-2 and 4-6-2.

Would any of these be appropriate? I should add that these models have been created by a fellow train simulator user.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:26 pm 

Hi Alec,

When were the 50Ft sets built and what time period are you looking at? I think this information would help to determine the suitable locomotive for you

For example if we are looking at a period of say 1908 then you could use the Renown as these were from 1908 onwards, but not the George the Vth as these were introduced in 1910. The precedent is a very good option as these were built from 1887 and would have been more than capable of handling 6/7 coach loads

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 pm 

These were what we might now call outer suburban stock from Euston to places like Bletchley and Northampton, so I would have thought 4-4-2T or 0-6-2T (Watford, not Coal) most suitable.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 pm 

Based on Philip's book- or as I prefer to call it the "bible" - the 50ft x 9ft wide non-corridor coaches with cove roofs and lavatory facilities were built as suburban stock circa 1904-1906. They were typically used on London to Rugby and London to Northampton services, and according to Philip the London-Rugby sets lasted in the same formations well into the 1930s, and the London-Northampton set also ran for many years.