LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:55 pm 

In my copy of the "1915 LNWR Coach Diagram Book" there is no entry for Diagram 216. I know that they lasted into LMS days but I am unclear as to whether they were ever changed to electric lighting? David Jenkinson's book only refers to gas lighting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 am 

There was an article on gas to electric lighting conversion in the old Premier News No.84 (December 1991). All LNWR arc-roof passenger stock was built with gas lighting with one exception - BCK 1217 of D.216 which was one of a batch turned out in 1900, presumably as an experiemnt. The post-WW1 programme of gas to electric conversion was specified as applying to coaches not over 21 years old. This meant that few D.216 qualified, and in my copy of the Diagram Book only two - 5945 and 5946 (formerly 1217) - are shown as elecrric light. So it appears that only one was converted in the post-WW1 period.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:54 pm 

Many thanks for the information, which I can apply to my current virtual modelling of a Diagram 216. Just out of interest did the LMS convert any - I may create some ex-LNWR for a project I am working on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 am 

alecralph wrote:
Just out of interest did the LMS convert any - I may create some ex-LNWR for a project I am working on?

No, they were too old to qualify. Only carriages under 21 years old qualified for conversion to EL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:29 pm 

Once again thanks for the clarification. In the first instance I shall use the two converted coaches, and look at adding some gas lit ones later.