LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 am 

Here's a screenshot of my virtual models of the above based on Philip's excellent book. The sets comprises D333B+D176A+D283A+D333B pulled by one of Bowen-Cooke's 4-6-2 Tank No. 2273 - model not created by me.
In Philip's book he noted that the conversions used the 28ft 4 wheelers from the Mansion House sets, and formed 11 Inter District Sets (242-252).
Can anyone say whether these were allocated to a specific district, or were they used on an adhoc basis?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:42 pm 

:oops: If I had looked at the next page I would have seen the reference to these sets working in the Manchester area! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:50 pm 

These 56ft 0in carriages were mostly found on the Manchester London Road to Liverpool Lime Steeet via Broadheath and Warrington Low Level services. I used to travel in one quite often in the early 1950s on my journey home from school when I would catch the 4/05 (steam) train from London Road and then change to the following MSJA electric train at Sale to continue my journey to Altrincham. I realised then that the carriages were old and interesting, but at the time I was not aware of their history. As usual 11 sets was more than sufficient, and they often made only a single journey, or at best one round trip, in a day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:07 am 

Many thanks for the comments, which as usual are both interesting and informative.