LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LNWR D213
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:27 am 

Received From Murry Bartlett via an enquiry in The O Gauge Guild Gazette

Thank you for your interest in our project to build some of the LNWR D213 stock for our club layout. I am pleased to report that things have moved forward since I mentioned it to Robin and the drawing was completed using information gleaned from LNWR Coaches (including West Coast Joint Stock) by Jenkinson and from A Register of West Coast Joint Stock by Casserley and Millard. We assumed that the underframes would be very similar to the standard 57’ design, but dual braked as for WCJS vehicles; I have not found any drawings showing how the dual braking was arranged so any assistance you may be able to provide with this would be appreciated. I suspect that the Westinghouse cylinder will not be very visible if it is behind the battery boxes.

I attach a copy of the drawing we ended up with – any comments or further information would be welcomed; sadly our only club member who was an LNWR enthusiast and member of the LNWR Soc passed away a few months ago so it is down to Keith (interest GWR!) and me (interest LBSCR!) to bring the project to fruition. Here at Brighton works we have completed the CAD design and had a batch of four carriages etched (two for the GW & two for the LBSC!). The attached photos show that there are two etched sheets per coach.

The coach is designed for a single glazing strip on each side to be slid in from one end after painting. The guard’s lookout section is fixed with two bolts to enable it to be removable for this purpose. Corridor and other internal partitions are included as well as visible underframe detail and corridor connections.

We are currently looking into obtaining suitable commercial components for bogies, buffers, roof vents, handles etc., quite a long shopping list for Guildex this year. At present it is uncertain whether the roof profile is obtainable commercially.

I have written a set of instructions, partly to tell Keith how to assemble each coach and partly to remind myself how they are supposed to go together. So far neither Keith or I have started construction so I cannot yet say for sure whether it will all work. I think it will but you may prefer to wait until we have built this batch of etches just to make sure everything goes together properly. News of progress with the club ‘Addison Road’ layout project is posted on RM Web – there is a link from the Addison Road page of the club website http://www.tdmrc.org.uk/

If you are interested in obtaining a set (or sets!) of the etches for your own use I will be pleased to supply them.

Peter Warren
Attachment:
V2_51A SCALE DRAWING.pdf

Attachment:
D213 etch 1.JPG

Attachment:
D213 etch 2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: LNWR D213
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:16 am 

If Mr Warren cares to contact me I can supply a copy of a drawing showing the vacuum/Westinghouse brake arrangement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:19 am 

The position of the coat of arms marked N on the drawing is incorrect - it should be inboard of the first door.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:25 am 

For 7mm components, I would suggest you contact Malcolm Binns of Carlisle, trading as Sidelines. But the 8ft 6in wide roof profile may be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:50 pm 

Thanks for that Philip. I have forwarded your contact details.

Murry