LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:40 pm 

Evening all,

Received via the 'Enquiries' email from the website, a request for help from a member of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society who is working on a book on the history of the Continental Mails from London to the Channel ports, where he has discovered an LNWR connection: explained below

"I am currently working on a major book outlining the history of the Continental Mails from London through Kent to the Channel ports (1860 to 1915). One of the TPO's that I am tracing the history of, is the London & Queenborough Sorting Tender which commenced in January 1891. The London, Chatham & Dover Railway operated the train but did not build the two postal vans used on the route until 1893. Between 1891 and 1893 the L&NW Railway leased their 'No.1 van' to the Post Office for the service.

I am desperately trying to find a photograph that might depict this postal van and also any possible plan of its design and layout. Do you think that any of your members or your archive can assist me?"

Can anyone provide any leads or better still photos / plans of 'No.1 van'? In return the Society gets a mention in the credits, and the offer of an article for the Journal.

Best, Ian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:31 am 

I have to say that I have never heard of this. AFAIK It is not mentioned in the LNWR Minutes.

Post Office No.1 was a 32ft 0in vehicle built in 1892 (exact date unknown) to Diagram 395 (one of four to this diagram). It was thus not in existence in 1891. In 1894 it was listed as assigned to the Irish Mail service (night Down, day Up). Its predecessor No.1 was a 26ft 0in carriage which had been transfered to the Caledonian Railway in 1885.

I find it hard to believe that the LNWR would have leased one of its most modern Post Offices which was intended for the most prestigious service to another company. It might be credible were the carriage in question an antique close to being worn out. Did the LCDR have lineside pick-up apparatus? If not why was such a vehicle required?

Post Office No. 1 became 9501 in 1910 and was rebuilt into a 64ft 0in vehicle for the WCJS in 1917 (No.452) and remained in service until 1/62.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:39 am 

If this information is taken from "The Travelling Post Offices of Great Britaqin and Ireland" by H.S.Wilson, (page 141) I can only say that Wilson is not particularly reliable as far as the railway vehicles are concerned. He is more an authority on franking stamps. Were did Wilson get his information?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am 

The more I think about this the less credible it becomes.

As I understand it the LC&DR has no lineside mail pickup apparatus, so why did they want a Travelling Post Office vehicle equipped with net and traductor arms? If all they wanted was a carriage fitted up with tables and pigeon holes for sorting mail, then they could have knocked one up from one of their own vehicles (brake vans?) pretty quickly.

In case LSWR was meant by mistake, I have checked up wth Gordon Weddell's book on LSWR Carriages, and find no mention of anything like this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 pm 

Thank you Philip.

I've forwarded your comments to the author, with the request that he share any evidence he manages to find with the Society, which he has promised to do. I guess 'watch this space'.........but don't hold your breath!