LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:38 pm 

I am going to try break my habit of posting links to photos on the Warwickshire Website and then ask for information. I think it might be better if I posted the photos as is without any guessing on my part. This might reduce the number of occasions i go red in the face! This is the second photograph:

Webb 5' 6'" 2-4-2T No 897 stands at platform 1 in Coventry with a parcels train in 1910.

As always, full credit will be given to sources of information.

Thanks

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:18 pm 

Lovely picture Mike.

Vehicles are:
2 x 21ft horsebox
2 x 21ft Fruit and Milk vans (second has visible lettering and first probably the same livery)
1 x straight sided Motor Car van - maybe 21ft?
1 x 21ft Motor Car Van (lettered as such at right of side in large letters)
1 x 21ft Fruit and Milk van

I guess they could all be connected with the same traffic because all except the horseboxes have end doors and wheel plates to allow motor or horse drawn vehicles to be loaded.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 am 

The lettering on the CCT fourth vehicle indicates that the date is after October 1913.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:47 am 

Philip,

Prior to October 1913, how were the vehicles lettered?

Post October 1913 I am guessing that they had 'LNWR' to the left of the door and 'Fruit and Milk Van' to the right, with the number painted onto the sliding door?

The Van nearer to the Engine also has a discolouration on the door but nothing discernible on the panels?

Many Thanks

David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:42 pm 

AFAIK, before 1913 CCTs had the lettering L&NWR and the number on the two panels on the doors, thus: L&NWR xxxxx.
But there are very few photographs from this period. The large letters/numbers date from October 1913, but of course it would have taken several years to apply this lettering to all eligible vehicles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 pm 

Hi Philip

Many thanks for the excellent information. From the late 19th century Coventry station had a lot of traffic being generated through the manufacturing of bicycles as is seen in this photo http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrcov548.htm so the train may have been involved with this activity. Obviously cars followed on afterwards.

Again my sincere thanks

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 am 

Only two out of seven vehicles are motor car vans. I would imagine that the train was empty stock, with the vehicles being returned to Coventry for reuse from different points of origin.