LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 am 

Good Morning, an enquiry from Kettering.

Did Bissel tanks always have Dumb/Dead Buffers on the rear and sprung on the front?

The enquirer states that the photos he has seen always have this configuration, so he is wondering if that was the standard, or if alterations were made throughout the life of the engine. Any information would be much appreciated

Thanks

David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 am 

Talbot Plate 143 shows the official photograph of the pioneer engine with spring buffers at the rear, but as far as I can see most or all other engines of this type had solid block buffers. Probably to overcoming buffer-locking problems experienced with the prototype.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm 

An engine with spring buffers at the rear end.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:27 am 

Here is my 4mm model, in LMS livery. Built from an M&L kit. Although it has dead buffers at the rear end it still suffers from buffer locking.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 am 

Hello Philip,

Beautiful model, really gorgeous. My model of the same I bought from Nick Easton built and he had fitted sprung buffers front and rear.

Looking in Talbot Locomotives the Crewe Official photo has 4 sprung buffers but then the two taken at work had dumb fitted to the rear.

So I think the best thing to do is advise that its a case of pick a photo and build accordingly as there was variants.

David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 am 

Here is a rather grubby dumb-buffered example.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

And another one in LNWR livery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:38 am 

The great majority seem to have had dead buffers at the rear end.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:33 pm 

I hav just noticed that I have posted two different photos of (4)7862, one with spring bufffers and one with dead buffers. The later one has spring buffers. I do not know how to explain this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 am 

Another unusual rear view of 7862, showing the dead buffers clearly. It looks as though these were changed for spring buffers in BR days (see photo above).