LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 am 

Via the LNWR Society's official Facebook Page, Robert Upton was kind enough to tell us of this very brief clip of a four cylinder 0-8-0 compound locomotive reversing before a horse shunting a carriage hides it from view. Following this, a clip of an onboard film shows a train leave the station travelling South. We immediately pass under the bridge carrying the Newport Road. Then we pass under the Wolverhampton Road bridge and bear round Eastwards on the London line before passing through Milford and Brockton station – a popular stopping off point for walkers going to Cannock Chase. Shortly after we are heading for the Shugborough tunnel.

This film was also featured in the documentary; “The Knotty – the story of the North Staffordshire Railway”, produced by Ray Johnson. If it looks familiar it's because it's the last few minutes of Huntley Archive's Film entitled 'Crewe Railway works in 1911'. Film 4800. Its clearer because Ray Johnson paid for the copy to be in his film on the 'Knotty'.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.musson ... ater&ifg=1

We contacted both Huntley Archive and Pathe for their permission to host their films via our Facebook page.

The LNWR Society Facebook page is intended to promote the Society to a much wider audience and hopefully to attract more members too. We have available on line a number of videos, digital copies of historical documents and books as well as photographic albums for your enjoyment and trust that you too will support our efforts. Contributions from the three hundred members who have signed up in less than four weeks is also providing lots of interesting LNWR material. Why not join us too?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 am 

I am afraid that I do not have the slightest intention of getting involved with Facebook, Twitter, Tinder or any other of these social media websites. I do not wish to have my web viewng habits spied upon, nor be subjected to a torrent of "targeted" advertising. Nor do I wish to be exposed should these sites be hacked by criminals - a very likely possibility.

I would prefer it if material of LNWR interest was posted on this page - and no other.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 pm 

"This film was also featured in the documentary; “The Knotty – the story of the North Staffordshire Railway”, produced by Ray Johnson. If it looks familiar it's because it's the last few minutes of Huntley Archive's Film entitled 'Crewe Railway works in 1911'. Film 4800. Its clearer because Ray Johnson paid for the copy to be in his film on the 'Knotty'."

It may also look familiar because a large format copy of the complete film was also purchased by the Society some years ago from the North West Film Archive and was copied onto video with added commentary. This is in the library at Kenilworth and presumably available to view, together with one of the other Charles Urban films commissioned by the LNWR Publicity Department.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:43 pm 

Hi Philip

I fully respect your decision not wanting to be on Facebook and I do understand your concerns about privacy, etc. You can, as Dave Bond has stated elsewhere on the forum, look at our page without registering and therefore disclosing any personal information. I too am very aware of the dangers of the internet and that's why I only post the very minimum amount of personal information on Facebook and do not have any other social media accounts.

Regarding your preference to LNWR material being posted on this forum, this can still be the case. My only point would be is to look at the regrettably low level of engagement on the forum; be it the number of posts over a given period or the very low numbers of members who engage in posting on the forum. Sadly, for whatever reason, the forum isn't being used to its full potential.

I would like to again thank you and other members of the Society for all the help you have given me in the past via the forum. It's been a great help and one which I will continue to use.

BTW did you play the video linked to the URL? You could follow it without fear of being trolled or spied on. I am sure you would enjoy it.

Best wishes

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 am 

Philip Millard wrote:
I am afraid that I do not have the slightest intention of getting involved with Facebook ...
I would prefer it if material of LNWR interest was posted on this page - and no other.

I agree with Philip.

The very low number of L&NWR Society members who have been using this forum in recent years is peculiar and needs to be discussed, but I cannot believe that opening a rival forum on Facebook will improve things here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm 

Philip and Harry,

I totally understand and respect that you do not wish to become involved with facebook etc.

Social media is wether we like it or not is here to stay and the page I have created with the blessing of the Exec has shown that there is a large number of people who have an interest in the L&NWR but are not society members. These are though people we need to attract to join us. The Facebook page is in addition too, not a rival of this forum.

The forum useage was brought up at the 2016 AGM by Philip and since then there has been several goes in the newsletter promoting its use but for whatever reason the useage of it is low. Whether this is the pre-moderation rule or keeping away due to previous issues I just know. I will raise it again at the next EC meeting.

In the case in point, it might be that when something of interest is brought up on facebook, a copy is posted here rather than a link shared. I will think about the ways we can satisfy both things.

Kind Regards

David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 pm 

Just to be clear about the film, its the first part which I believe the LNWRS has a copy of.

The trouble with these old films is that they have been cut, badly joined and mis-identified by their custodians. The first one I found was at the British Film Archive in London, listed as "Building George V engine at Swindon", but turned out to be building Coronation at Crewe. The second was mainly an animated sequence with a toy (LNWR!) train in a fish tank, but also some from a real moving train on the North wales coast! I wrote a short article in the Journal on them once and there is also an article in the LNWR Gazette (at Kenilworth) which lists the Charles Urban films commissioned by the LNWR up to that date, and they were available to hire. The run times are given, so it may be possible to identify which pieces we have today came from which films and rebuild them but it woul dbe a bit hit and miss and a long job. There was some discussion about these early films here too:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101&p=262&hilit=urban#p259

The North West Film Archive was a helpful source but the archive identified by Mike Musson s new to me, so there may well be others too.

I personally dislike Facebook (not interested what the Grandchildren had for breakfast etc), but we have to accept that vast numbers of people old and young use it, so if David and Mike are prepared to do the hard work, then thank you and I am sure some new information will come from that source.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:12 am 

Philip Millard wrote:
I am afraid that I do not have the slightest intention of getting involved with Facebook, Twitter, Tinder or any other of these social media websites.

I agree with Philip. I fear it will dilute the value of this site and consign valuable information to the tracking cookie, pop-up advert cess pit that is social media.

Gary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:14 pm 

As has been said several times above, it is entirely a personal choice whether or not to use social media. However, I fully support the efforts of Dave, Mike and others to reach out to others in the wider world who may be interested in the LNWR (whether or not they realise that yet!). It is clear to me that if the Society sticks to previous ways of doing things then it has no future. I am not sure exactly what the future will look like, but it will certainly involve computers, digital media and the internet as well as "social media".

For the record, I have been a member of Facebook for some time and find it a very useful way of keeping up with where my friends have been and what they have been up to. It is also a very useful prompt for friends' and relations' birthdays! I am a member of several Fb groups, including "Signalboxes and Signalling" and "Cabines y senalamiento en Argentina y Uruguay". Some of the posts are quite interesting, others might be thought a little naïve but are an excellent opportunity to spread the word about how much knowledge is available and where to find it. I spend quite a bit of my time posting what I know, and answering enquiries on them, just like I do here (and on the MRS and GCRS equivalents). I strongly suspect that these reach lots of people to whom it would not otherwise occur to join a railway society. Or even to ask themselves if there is one!

Also there a number of "voyeurs" on Facebook, who are members and have "friends" but never post anything. They are happy just to look at what is posted by others. At least three of my friends (ie real friends!) adopt this strategy.

NB perhaps the title of this thread should be changed??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 pm 

Agree in part with all of you. I don't enjoy facebook enough to look or post there, even though there will be items of interest and have had a profile or whatever for a number of years.
It is a different way to enjoy plus support the society, may well bring in more members - Dave and Mike have done an excellent job and deserve thanks.