LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:45 am 

At The Kidderminster meeting someone told me that the Gauge 1 model of 2-2-2-0 Teutonic No.1304 Jeanie Deans has the wrong tender that having been inadvertently exxchanged (by the auctioneers) for that from 2-2-2-0 Teutonic No. 1309 Adriatic.

Although it is nop rather late, I am willing to appraoch Drewitts to enquire whether they would be prepared to reveal the buyer of Adriatic, or at the very least pass on a message to him. But first I need to know how the two tenders can be recognised apart. I would be gatreful if someone would instruct me here. I assume that the buyer of Adriatic would also be glad to get the right tender for his model.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 pm 

Well, I had never noticed, but in the catalogue Teutonic has a long front (so early) and a tender with coal rails (so late) whereas Adriatic has a short front (so late) and a tender has no coal rails (so early). So, I suspect the person making the comment was probably correct.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 pm 

Looking at the auction catalogue again ...

Adriatic also has a single whistle, so post 1903 and not suitable for a tender with pre-1895 lack of coal rails. The auction catalogue shows that Adriatic has a bent carriage heat relief valve and bent safety valve lever, so it is just possible its second whistle has been knocked off, but I don't think so.

Jeannie Deans has two whistles so pre-1903 but so far as I am aware could be 1895 - 1903. So, Adriatic certainly has the wrong tender but arguably either tender would be correct for Jeannie Deans. Maybe best to leave things as they are?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 pm 

Another difference to look out for is that all the Teutonics appear to have been turned out with a "new" type of 1800 gallon tenders, used only on this class (p162, Illustrated History of LNWR Engines, E Talbot). Some were later to be seen with 2000 gallon tenders. The visible difference is that the solebars are noticeably deeper on the 2000 gallon type.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 pm 

Photos from centre of Modellers Backtrack (Vol 3 no.3) show both Jennie Deans and Adriatic. Jennie Deans described as in original condition with 1800 gallon tender and no coal rails. Adriatic as in final condition in 1903 with 2000 gallon tender and coal rails.
Prototype notes by Geoff Holt,so reasonable to assume they are as he wanted them.