LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:48 pm 

Recently posted on a website of which I am a member ,"Secret Leeds", is a link to a superb 50 page document which will be of great interest to some members of the L&NWR Society. Unfortunately my extremely limited PC skills do not allow me to put up a direct link, but entering the "Secret Leeds" site, locating the thread "The Old Lifting Tower at Wellington Place", going to page 3, and finding a post by "hyperion" of Sat 14 March 12.01pm will find the link to a document reviewing the status of the listed tower.

Its 50 pages include the most comprehensive description of the history of the proposals for and the building of Leeds Central Station and the contiguous Wellington Street Goods Yard I have ever seen. The reasons for and the workings of the steam and flat belt operated three hoist towers are fully investigated, and there are many maps, plans, and drawings, with details of the capstan system and wagon turntables.

As one of the two companies initially concerned in the planning and construction was the Leeds and Dewsbury Railway, which became a part of the L&NWR before the works were completed the whole document is a fascinating. if obscure, part of L&NWR history. The wagon hoists and capstans continued in use until c1951, at which point British Railways installed a "long crossover" connecting with the ex GNR and NER yards rendering the equipment redundant.

Hopefully somebody with more computer knowledge than I will be good enough to provide the direct link to the document on this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 pm 

Is this what you mean?

http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=131

You have only to copy and paste the URL which you are referring to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:56 pm 

Hi jim.

Here's your direct link:

http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Ba%20...%20geCount=50

But your directions were spot on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:58 am 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information.

Below is the actual web address of the document you mention.

http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Ba ... geCount=50

regards,

Brian Nicholls.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 pm 

Thanks for posting the link Brian. Works a treat for me. Sorry Gary, but yours doesn't work for me. Sorry also for confusing Philip - but I'm afraid I am also so dim that I am unable to cut and paste! The link you give may be of some interest to L&NWRS members as well, though "Secret Leeds" can be a little parochial, let's say.