LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 pm 

I assumed that most provincial towns had coal merchants and their goods arrived by train. But try as I might I can find no coal merchants at Wellingborough. Any leads or suggestions please?

Also, Wellingborough produced a vast amount of iron ore which went out by train from the LNWR station, but again I have found no evidence of private owner wagons being used. In fact I have no idea what wagons were used for this traffic before the BR steel types. Any ideas please?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:39 pm 

For coal merchants I would look at Kelly's /Post Office local directories, and similar locally-published ones. Most large libraries have a few, Birmingham Lib has an extensive collection covering the whole of the UK. Once you've got some names, you can try things like Google searches, or Grace's Guide. Maybe even census returns on ancestry.co.uk (if you have a subscription).

You could try directories for iron ore firms as well, but perhaps more useful, if they had a private siding, is the RCH "Handbook of Stations" - issues dated 1895, 1904, 1912, 1925, 1929, 1938 and 1956, plus Appendices issued for various years in between. You can trace the changes of owner through the various editions. Also the LNWR book of Private Siding Diagrams (London to Rugby section) will have a diagram for the siding at Wellingborough. Once you have names, try looking up in Keith Turton's books of P.O. Wagons (nos 1 to 14 I think?). Or (again) Google search.

For Wellingborough you also have the benefit of a certain Wild Swan book on Track Layout Diagrams of the LNWR Section 5, Northamptonshire, by (who was it now)? NB plans are being developed to compile 2 more sections of this series. This is a mammoth task, especially since we now have at least double the amount of information available as we did when compiling section 5!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 pm 

Mike

Lightmoor have a very useful index for their series of private owner wagons books and is available here :-

http://lightmoor.co.uk/category.php?&se ... ivateOwner

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to refer to any specific Wellingborough coal merchants as far as I can see.

As regards iron ore traffic, James Pain Ltd had a siding at Wellingborough (Pain's Iron Ore Siding) according to siding diagram No.968. Pain however is mentioned in the PO index and refers to a picture of Buxton where a Pain wagon is seen.

Pain's siding served an extensive series of tramways to ironstone quarries. The best source of information regarding railways and the ironstone industry in the Midlands is the series of book written by Eric Tonks.

Regards

Martin O'Keeffe

Martin O'Keeffe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:37 pm 

Thank you Reg for helpful notes above; Harry for copies from said RCH books; and Martin for that new information. Ian Pope who wrote the Lightmoor books has been extremely helpful in providing an extract from his research notes. I have the Tonks book which is indeed a great start at unraveling a complex web of local ironstone lines of various gauges and various times.

I am not sure Martin what you mean by "PO index and refers to a picture of Buxton where a Pain wagon is seen." What index?

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:19 pm 

Mike

I was referring to the index I mentioned in my first sentence.

ATB
Martin

Martin O'Keeffe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:17 pm 

Ah, I see what you mean! Thanks.

Mike