LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:43 pm 

A friend who is not registered for the forum has asked about a coal merchant in Bicester Town whose wagons were presumably registered by the LNWR.

The company name was, we believe, Vincent Prentice when founded in 1864 and changed to A E Prentice a few year after the death of Vincent on 23rd December 1887. They traded from the same location until forced to move in 2009 when the BRB sold the land. Although the current family members recognise the value of the company history they have little information because the fourth generation had a clear out in the late 1950s.

Please does anyone have further information and especially about the wagons of which the family believe there were several?

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:59 am 

The brief history of the firm is here - http://coal4you.co.uk/about/

There may be some references to "Prentice" in the Minute Books of the LNWR Goods Traffic Committee. You would have to look at the index volumes in RAIL410/207, 208, 209. There may also be references in the Goods Conference, but afaiaa there is no index!

There may also be listings in historic copies of Kelly's and other trade directories, but I have been unable to find any online, and in any case it is doubtful whether they would give any more than an address at a specific date. Which we seem to know already.

For PO wagons, is there no reference in any of the published works? Otherwise I suppose you would have to search the records of each builder one-by-one. I am not aware of any records of PO wagons registered with the LNWR - but admittedly it is not my speciality!