LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Track and chairs
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:05 pm 

I am just modeling some LNWR rail chairs and have a query.

So far as I recall, LNWR 4-bolt chairs had square-headed coach screws at each corner and treenails at the opposite corners. I am modelling a 3-bolt chair which the Crewe drawings from the LNWRS show as having three square-headed screws and no treenails.

Please does anyone know if that is correct?

Mike

Post subject: Re: Track and chairs
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:06 am 

Just when I thought I understood LNWR plain track - not started on turnouts yet! - this comes up.

The LNWRS drawing and every chair I remember seeing, have no ribs and just a simple curve on the raised part either side of the rail, like the attached photo of a 4-bolt chair. And then the second photo turns up! The one with ribs is dated 1923, so maybe a transitional design .... or were they common?

Anyone out there with in depth knowledge of LNWR track components?

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 am 

Hi Mike,

According to all the PW drawings I have seen, particularly the 1909 & 1916 PW track book drawings, you are correct in your assumptions.

The four fixture chairs did indeed have two screw bolts at opposite corners, and the other two holes were fixed with spikes, and the three point fixture chairs had all screw bolts. See drawing No. 34 in the 1916 PW track book.

regards,

Brian Nicholls.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:40 am 

Thanks Brian.

I had to make a decision, so have gone with 3-bolts, no ribs and all three fixings with domed, square-headed screws. Seems like the most common type. I know the 4-bolt may be even more common, but there are other reasons why I don't want to model that one.

Will put photos of the model chairs into the modelling section asap.

Thanks very much.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:19 pm 

Is it just an illusion from the angle of the photo, or is the 3-bolt one a slide chair?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:25 am 

I see what you mean Reg, but I think it is an ordinary chair. There is a small web on the left (inside) but peering into the gloom you can also see the two webs on the right (outside) which are quite unlike any other LNWR chairs I have seen. I can't make out all the lettering and I assume that "LNWR" painted in white is actually what is on the casting, in which case I assume it was a very late design. Did rail standards change around 1923? Rail section increased from the usual 85lb or 95lb?

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:00 am 

Just to update this thread, here are photos of a standard chair I had made last year. They are solid printed from a 3D CAD file. I then had resin copies made and put them into a mould for whitemetal casting in volume. But that's as far as I've got.

At present they are Gauge 1 and Gauge 3 left and right handed keyed standard chairs and the same joint chairs only - no fancy check and crossing chairs yet!

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm 

Mike,

Looks lovely and interesting timing as I was going to email you with regards to the chairs, with thoughts in mind of some certain gauge 1 models the society owns which need track under them and putting on proper display at kenilworth as part of tge ongoing revamp

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:44 pm 

Here's the same chair from t'other side.

It was the President's very kind donation which prompted me to have the Gauge 1 chairs made, but I did ask it to be on the agenda for a committee meeting and heard nothing. I was also directed to a member who was looking after at least one of the engines and was told that a running line was being built using commercial track, so they didn't want the chairs.

And, on 1st May 2015 I posted on this forum "I am having some plain and joint chairs solid printed in Gauge 3 and Gauge 1. I have NO plans for them to be commercially available, but if the Society accepts Philip's kind gift then I'd be happy to supply suitable chairs for somebody to make the track in the display cases." There was no reply, so I didn't bother. (were the cases ever built by the way? I know a member offered some free at the AGM that year)

IF they were to be used then I would gladly give the Society enough chairs for static display tracks and buy suitable rail too. But they are not cheap and I would need to know that they were wanted.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:15 pm 

A very generous offer Mike, I confess even as a regular reader of the forum I don't remember your offer?!

We must discuss this at committee on the 11th but personally I think we should accept your proposal and act accordingly. I've never built track in this scale but if nobody else puts their hand up then I'll certainly have a go: I guess bearers will be pretty robust, are they commercially available easily? Be a darned sight better than the locos being planted on Peco streamline!

Brian / Ian , one for the agenda!

All the best

Peter.