LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LNWR Disc
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:01 pm 

Can anyone identify the item shown in the attached photos please. The photos were sent with an enquiry.

"I was metal detecting today in Halsall village, Lancs and found the item in the picture below and wandered if it is of any interest to you. The disc is 60mm in diameter and as you can see from the picture it has two fixing points on the reverse. It is not as corroded as the picture would suggest."

Regards

Dave Pennington

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: LNWR Disc
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 pm 

Halsall was on the L&Y and eight miles away from the nearest piece of the L&NWR, so whatever this label was, it probably wasn't fixed to a static object - unless it was placed there in 1922 or shortly thereafter.

Could it have been attached to a piece of horse harness? I remember seeing polished brass labels lettered like this on horses' blinkers, in Manchester as late as 1951 (and also some lettered "N.S.R.") but the L&NWR ones were rectangular, not round. Maybe other harness-straps had less conspicuous labels? Just guessing, of course.

Harry Jack.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:05 am 

I don't know if this is correct, but it has some resemblance to boudary markers used by some railway companies. Often mounted on posts (2 fixing holes refer) and used to deliniate the boundary between company owned land and that owned by others, usually where the boundary is less obvious.
Just a suggestion.
Quentin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 am 

At 60mm diameter definitely not a boundary marker! My suggestion is the top of a tubular container to hold detonators, probably originally from a signal box.