LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Morecambe Branch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:58 pm 

A topic that appears to come up frequently on the Cumbrian Railways Assoc chat group is the railways around Lancaster and Morecambe. In the main debate leads to satisfactory conclusion. However...
A friend has come across a RCH diagram that marks Morecambe South Junction as Hest Bank South Junction. The circa 1891 OS map shows it as Morecambe South Junction. The obvious question is was the 1888 junction here ever officially named Hest Bank South Junction? Similarly was the original junction of the northern curve from Bare Lane ever called Hest Bank North Junction? The 1848 OS map calls it Hest Junction. In fact was there ever a Hest Bank North Junction?
What is fairly certain is the location of Hest Bank Junction - where the LNWR Morecambe Branch joined the Midland, between Euston Road and the Northumberland St / Promenade stations.
Unfortunately none of us has access to LNWR appendices that might offer us a clue.
I hope one of you can help.
Les

Post subject: Re: Morecambe Branch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:32 am 

Les,

My RCH Junction Diagram sheets for 1905, 1913 and 1922 al show the junctions as: Hest Bank North Junction.
Hest Bank South Junction.
Bare Lane Junction.

My 1937 Sectional Appendix refers to Morecambe South Junction and Hest Bank Junction.

My thoughts are that the name changed in the early LM&SR period. I think we can be sure that in L&NWR days, the junction was designated: Hest Bank South Junction.

Knowing the area well, I am disgusted with myself that I had never appreciated the change of nomenclature.

Brian Hayes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:22 am 

That thought did cross my mind - but the 1891 (surveyed 1889) 1:2500 OS map shows the southern junction as Morecambe South Junction. I'd have thought the surveyor got that from the name on the signalbox or from the local stationmaster. Was the box named differently to the junction?

I'd be good to know which name the LNWR itself used.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 am 

The RCH tended to use the "Parliamentary Names" used in Acts of parliament &c. I think "Hest Bank South Junc" comes into this category.

The railway companies often came up with completely different names, as used in minutes, correcpondence, WTTs, etc, and (from the 1860s/70s) for the names of signalboxes. In fact for all railway operating and management purposes.

Looking at a few RCH maps and Junction Diagrams should reveal a few more similar examples. You are not the first ones to be confused by this!!!

Cheers, Reg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 pm 

To reiterate Reg's comment. Hest Bank North & South Junctions are the legal/parliamentary names. The RCH, effectively being the legal arbiter of the railway network, therefore normally used these names.
The LNWR operating department was primarily interested in day to day running of the railway and went its own way. One objective was to avoid confusing the staff (a potential recepie for accidents). The signal box at the south end of the Morecambe triangle was always Morecambe South Junction. At the north end the junction was controlled by Hest Bank (station) box so no need for a separate operating junction name. Similarly the west end of the triangle was controlled by Bare Lane Box.

The LNW did seem to set some store by the views of local staff on what places should be called. In a number of instances for signal boxes away from stations, the names were changed between the official plans being drawn up at 'head office' and the signal box being opened. In at least one case the box was built displaying the 'Head Office' name, but this was changed before the box opened.
Conversely, they did not like altering things once they were operational.
Richard Foster