LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question from Facebook
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:23 am 

We received this query from Adrian Wheeler, a member of the Society's Facebook Page. Can anyone help?

Living near these two stations Elmesthorpe and Narborough I was surprised to see a very similar design on the Wolverhampton to Walsall Midland Railway line. I found this book in Hinckley library and the two lines had the same engineer John Addison. Does anybody know any more about his relationship with our Railway

Many thanks

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm 

I assume it is this chap:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Addison

Who did some work for the LNWR, but this link doesn't completely explain his connection with those two lines.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:36 pm 

Mike

Many thanks for your kind help which I have now passed on. To say he was very impressed with
the speed of your response is an understatement.

Regards

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm 

I have a vague idea that the Wolves & Walsall line was originally owned by the LNWR and sold to the MR later in the 1870s. The details will be found in Clinker's "Chronology of the Railways of the West Midlands". I am at work at the mo, and can't check my copy until I get home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 pm 

The following from Clinker:

The W&W was promoted and authorised as an independent line, under an Act of 1865 (28 & 29 Vic c181). I am not sure who promoted it, or supplied the capital. It was slightly amended, and extensions of time granted, by subsequent Acts of 1866/67/68/70.

It was opened on 1 Nov 1872 as W&WR but operated by LNWR and MR - ie each company provided services, but not as a joint operation. This last nearly 3 years, until it was vested in the LNWR from July 1 1875 (LNW New Lines and Additional Powers Act 1875, 38 & 39 Vic c152 s54). This effectively gave the LNWR two parallel routes between Wolverhampton and Walsall, although leaving and arriving at Walsall at opposite ends of the station. Exactly one year later it was purchased by the MR (Mid (Further Powers) Act 1876, 39 & 40 Vic c209 s7). Thus it remained until 1922.

So it wasn't always MR property. Precisely how this relates to the design of the station buildings, I leave for others to work out ...