LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 pm 

That's fascinating information, thanks very much for sharing Jim! When I have some time to spare, I would love to investigate the history of Wellington St and see if I can find any references to the steam engine and lineshafting, or when it was installed. Maybe it was original from c1850, but then again, when were powered capstans first used, as opposed to man- or horse-power? The answer to that question may be quite hard to find.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

Hydraulic capstans were introduced in the period 1870-75 Reg. ("Hydraulic Power" Ian McNeil, 1972) I feel that the clumsy and intractable (not to mention downright dangerous) shaft drive permanently coupled capstans must have predated this period, which might indicate being part of the original (c!850) provision when Leeds Central and the surrounding goods facilities were built. Certainly the original two pairs of shaft drive (to very long flat belt) wagon hoists with their engines and boilers date from this period, as do 38 of the wagon turntables. The other pair of wagon hoists and 28 further turntables date from the 1860s. (Compare the first edition 1-1056 OS map with the widely reproduced London Illustrated News engraving of the area and with the 1888 1:2500 OS map)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:11 am 

Fascinating info, thanks Jim. I've learnt something new! Plenty of scope for further research.