LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Baxter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:56 am 

Bertram Baxter's British Locomotive Catalogue put the basic numerical details of all LNWR engines in one convenient place for the very first time, for which many of us were - and are - very grateful.

I have absolutely no wish to denigrate this magnificent effort, but it was published 37 years ago and, as well as obvious misprints there are (not surprisingly) various mistakes which could now be corrected, and a lot of extra detail which could now be added. A revised edition of Baxter is long overdue.

The Society seems the obvious body to take on this task, and a few years ago it was suggested that we should do so.

Was anything done about it?

Post subject: Re: Baxter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:31 pm 

I presume, Harry, you're only proposing we seek to update Volumes 2A & 2B which cover 'our' railway? But errors/corrections must also have come to light in the other 7 published parts, and I wonder if anyone has proposed amending them? And while on the subject - because I have pondered it for some time - does anyone know what the status of the two unpublished volumes was/is?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:39 pm 

Certainly a task we should deal with, as did Peter Davis and Ted with the Sharman wheels for modellers volume.

The HMRS haven 't yet republished the book as they'd planned but we've taken advantage of the work and Simon W has used it on the Webb site.

ATB

Peter S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:39 am 

Well, are you offering to do this job, Harry? I don't see how the fact that it was published 37 years ago has any relevance - the (not all that many) mistakes and typos would be the same if it was published yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:59 am 

No, Philip, the job of revising the whole of Baxter volumes 2A and 2B would be quite beyond me. But I would certainly take on the London & Birmingham and Southern Division sections. And there are a lot of mistakes and omissions there.

As for volumes about other railways, I'd leave them to their own "supporters' clubs".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:34 am 

Would it be a worthwhile idea to have a site on which those who know of amendments would post them - either on the forum or in the newsletter, say - with the intention of creating a resource for eventual collation and he possible publication of new editions of "Baxter"?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:37 am 

Harry Jack wrote:
No, Philip, the job of revising the whole of Baxter volumes 2A and 2B would be quite beyond me. But I would certainly take on the London & Birmingham and Southern Division sections. And there are a lot of mistakes and omissions there.

Well, there is an excellent book by someone or other on Southern Division Locos which supercedes Baxter in this area. And presumably any revision of Baxter would not now add appreciably to our knowledge.

If not you, who has the necessary expertise and would possibly undertake this mammoth task?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm 

I think Jim Lodge has a very good idea in collecting all noted errors, by other members, in one place.

Again I think the best place would be a separate forum item sub-heading, such as 'Baxter Errors' or 'Baxter Revision Notes', this will then make these notes readily available to all members who may be interested.

In addition, I would make the notes easily available to any person who wishes to take on the task of revising the LNWR parts of the catalogue.

Regards,

Brian Nicholls.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:34 pm 

Please see the new topic in 'LOCOMOTIVES'! Get cracking!!!

Please make sure you add any references you have used for additions and corrections, so we end up with an authoritative piece of work.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm 

My memory may be in error here, but I thought about ten years ago Peter Davis took on this task? Might be worth somebody asking him.

Mike