LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Portfolios
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:31 pm 

Seems the only place to put this!

Somewhere I was asked about portfolios; I used the term automatically.

The run of Portfolios seemed to gradually drift out of existence as a distinct family; the non journal one and a half yearly publications started appearing in various shapes and sizes.

I see the next publication as being back to the old portfolio format but as the term has fallen out of use I'm not sure what to call it? What I do see is that a publication outside of the Journal is an expectation of members and I am determined that they shall see something. Ted has something in mind and a budget bid has been made for the production.

All the best

Peter S.

Post subject: Re: Portfolios
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:55 pm 

Call it a portfolio, why invent a new name

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:54 am 

You're being hard on yourself, Peter, you volunteered news of the Portfolio plan in the first place, and I simply picked up on the wording on the Webbsite, which you have now explained. Once again, thank you for keeping the membership informed. If only all things were handled thus ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 pm 

Dal-t,

This is not directed at you personally so please don't take it as such

I can fully understand Peter (Stanton) questioning himself over this as when every move you make is questioned and analysed you begin to question yourself instead of just getting on with it, and situations like this arise. The resolution, well.............

A new portfolio though is exciting and encouraging news, and will be something more exciting to sell than the forthcoming socks ;) .....

David (Bond)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:25 pm 

pstanton wrote:
Seems the only place to put this!

Somewhere I was asked about portfolios; I used the term automatically.

The run of Portfolios seemed to gradually drift out of existence as a distinct family; the non journal one and a half yearly publications started appearing in various shapes and sizes.

I see the next publication as being back to the old portfolio format but as the term has fallen out of use I'm not sure what to call it? What I do see is that a publication outside of the Journal is an expectation of members and I am determined that they shall see something. Ted has something in mind and a budget bid has been made for the production.

All the best

Peter S.

Hi Peter (S)

Did you consider that someone else other than Mr. Talbot might have a document prepared that would be of greater interest to members? I know of at least one thoroughly researched publication from another member but there may well be others. I recall that Reg Instone posted that he is working on fitted wagons as a subject for example.

Also, in the interest of openness and transparency, could the "budget bid" be posted on the protected area of the forum.

Thanks

Peter (M)

(Gently edited to add Mr. Old fashioned but my code!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:24 am 

Would it be possible to expand the thread on Gunpowder Wagons into an article for publication also the use of Foreign Wagons. Just a thought.
Murry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:28 am 

Good idea; I'll find Peter Ellis' note and trawl my old modelling magazines!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:17 pm 

Peter Meyer wrote:

Did you consider that someone else other than Mr. Talbot might have a document prepared that would be of greater interest to members?

Has Mr Meyer researched and written a portfolio, or even an article, about the LNWR, perhaps?

Is Mr Meyer any judge?

How does he know what "would be of greater interest to members"?

Harry Jack.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:03 pm 

As default portfolio project manager (!) I have looked at other subjects and the field is open. Peter has some great research on the Shrewsbury and Hereford; I have a batch of new data on the North London DC lines and gunpowder vans are assuming a life of their own. Plus the JPR letter work develops.

In terms of a budget bid I asked for the same amount that was written into a strategic budget plan some three odd years ago to finance one Portfolio every 18 months. To my knowledge a 2015 budget hasn't been finalised

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:48 am 

Harry Jack wrote:

Is Mr Meyer any judge?

How does he know what "would be of greater interest to members"?

Harry Jack.

Instinctively I have no more idea than you, Harry Jack, what would be of greater interest to members.

However, as a career-long sales and marketing professional, I have long learnt to look at sales figures as guidance for success or otherwise. The appalling lack of sales of the last two Ted Talbot sponsored portfolios plus his unwarranted attacks on the 40th book have taught me to question Ted Talbot's wisdom. That’s not a concept that goes down too well here though as you and a vociferous minority seem to think he can do no wrong.

But you don’t have to be Citizen Kane to work out that a book on Docks by a railway line society would have no credibility amongst the maritime fraternity and not sell. And as for the funerial looking Spink bibliography (someone’s regurgitated thesis); what new about the LNWR was in that - has anyone actually read it?

So rather than have yet another recycled jumble-sale find foisted on us, it’s time to let someone else have a go.

Despite having it for a year, Wild Swan did nothing with the third volume of wagons books, and now they have changed hands maybe the Society should take that under its wing. At least the people who bought volumes 1 & 2 would appreciate it.

Peter Meyer