LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:16 pm 

Picking up Reg's point we also owe the membership a Portfolio next year. I'm on the case for that; with Ted!

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:40 pm 

Agreed Reg, when we see them I am sure we will indeed be grateful for all the hard work put into these Journals. A great effort, especially by Richard Foster. Starting from nothing and getting two complete issues written, edited, illustrated, proof read etc etc in less than two months is hard work - I know, I've done it!

Mike Williams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:04 pm 

pstanton wrote:
Picking up Reg's point we also owe the membership a Portfolio next year. I'm on the case for that; with Ted!

Peter

That's great news, Peter, and something positive to look forward to - does it mean that the statement on the Webbsite "the society has moved away from the Portfolio series of publications" is no longer strictly accurate? I have been wondering for some time if we were going to be treated to an explanation of the underlying thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:32 pm 

Well done Richard,we owe you a debt of gratitude that should far outweigh the critics.

David Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:46 am 

If the two Journals duly appear I think that will go some way to assuage the high level of discontent which exists within the Society.

IMO the other problems could be largely solved by taking aside a few people and telling them kindly but firmly that the best interests of the Society woud be served if they resigned their positions (not their membership). That would apply especially to those whose unpleasant abuse have caused other valuable members such as David Moore and Peter Mayer to resign. That is what leadership is about. The Chairman is supposed to be the leader. Anyone invited to resign who fails to comply ought to be named and shamed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:16 am 

Received my package yesterday Friday, down here we are ahead of the UK, and was able to skim through at lunch to pick out the items that were of interest to read first, to much choice I am a happy camper in regards the Journal.
What I would like to know is how were the Naval guns tested or set up for" proof testing". I assume it was not very straight forward and did any fail, That could of been interesting.
There are articles that do not seem interesting but when I get into them I come away a little wiser.
Now as to the Fowler wagon on the back page of number 10 it is just as well I will not be near that layout when I come to the UK in January, it would fit very nicely in my bags

Thank you
Murry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:51 pm 

Just wondered what has happened to issuing an e-version of the Newsletter, either by e-mail or as a direct link from here? While I wait for my ‘bumper package’ to arrive by snail-mail (and hope it's not raining at the time, so it doesn't disintegrate in my leaky postbox again), I’m getting increasingly perplexed by postings from people who are obviously already privy to the contents. So how about a bit of timely sharing - or is this another (good) initiative that has simply fallen by the wayside?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:36 pm 

I think the electronic newsletter is locked in the current management hiatus! I was (am!) very much in favour of moving forward with electronic mailings but I think the motivation to go forward will take committee support, which means another item frozen waitng the SGM. I'm still waiting to see if my promotions budget bid was successful!

PS. I have to say again, I DID NOT approve the last electronic newsletter , in case I get shot agin!

All the best, usual publicity for Derby, 10th January, East Midlands meeting!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:56 pm 

Peter,

I read nothing about management hiatus in the last minutes which said (and I quote in full):

An invoice for his work in producing the trial ENewsletter has been received from Peter Meyer Ltd. Alan Shepherd’s report had indicated that some costs could arise. Brian will clarify what the invoice covers before any further ENewsletters are produced.

So, the reason no more have been seen is that the committee were unaware that they would cost £1,000 per year! I am not clear whether you are in favour of it on that basis? And why do you think it has anything to do with the SGM?

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:27 am 

Morning Mike, I was merely replying to David's question and giving him comfort that I will continue to press for development of electronic publishing of publications. The take up on the prototype electronic newsletter, I'm informed ,was good and the process effective.

I mention the SGM because I personally believe that the Society has a management hiatus generally until the SGM when hopefully a confident management will appear. We have all sorts of developments we can make, witness Simon W's excellent development on the Webb site.

The minutes you refer to are merely the beginning of a journey into improving our member contact, stalled due to current circumstances. Even if I am sacked on the 17th I shall still work just as positively for the Society. CREWE "men" don't run away!

All the best
Peter.

Now the usual advert:-

Please all come to Derby on the. 10th. guaranteed friendly do and great beer at the Brunswick. If you come by train from Stoke remember to look out for LNWR junction, we're still there!