LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Goods Yard Mystery
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:31 am 

March 2014 Journal

After the March Journal arrived and I had looked through it, I expected there would be an immediate flurry of postings on the Forum about the photographs of the model of the LNWR Goods Yard by Jack Nelson which appeared on pages 16 to 21, but there has been nothing (but then there was not after the photo on page 38 of the September 2013 Journal appeared either). So, to satisfy my curiosity and puzzlement, I thought I had better ask for enlightenment from other members.

In the photographs on pages 19 and 21 (and the main subject of the photo on page 21), is a strange dirty black engine with no number or company markings. I am no locomotive expert, but to me it looks rather like an L&YR Aspinall 1093 Class 4-4-0, but I cannot see what such an express passenger engine would be doing in an LNWR goods yard and why it is apparently running with no number and company insignia. Perhaps someone can help with details of what the engine is and what it might be doing there. The September Journal does say it is an LNWR goods yard, and I have not seen any reader letters or Forum Posts questioning this.

Perhaps some of the people who have been researching Jack Nelson’s work (Roger, Peter?) can help with some details of the origins and purpose of this model loco.

Richard Foster

Post subject: Re: Goods Yard Mystery
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:57 pm 

Hello Richard,

I've just discovered this topic!

The loco in question does look like a L&Y Aspinall 4-4-0, although there are hints of the MR1808 Class 4-4-0. The main obvious differences are the dome/safety valves.

A drawing of a L&Y 4-4-0 can be found just over halfway down the page here;

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetS ... M=wizabout

and a photo of a 7mm model at the bottom of the page here;

http://www.kemilway.com/gallery.html

An internet search didn't turn up anything in the way of prototype photos.

Why JN would have posed such a model in the goods yard is a mystery. The loco wheels don't seem to be on the rails, could it have been added by someone else later?

Jol