LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: December 2013 Journal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:42 pm 

Hello

Can someone advise as to when the December journal will be on its way?

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:21 am 

David Bond wrote:
Hello

Can someone advise as to when the December journal will be on its way?

Cheers

David

Received mine, in the wilds of the Scottish Borders, yesterday, Saturday 28th.
Quentin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:15 am 

Mine also arrived on Sat 28th - in the City of York; franked, Nuneaton, 20th Dec.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:52 pm 

Mine landed in Corby (Midlands today)

So far I have managed to read the editorial which contained a brilliant nugget of a Christmas reception at Kenilworth, 15 days ago :evil: , as far as I am concerned, the first weekend Kenilworth has been open I would have been able to make it

Onto the rest of the Journal and the 40th anniversary booklet :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm 

I received my Journal and Newsletter last week and was surprised that the 40th Anniversary publication was not with them. I assumed that there had been a hitch at the printers and I was very surprised to read on the Forum that other members received their copies with the Journal. It seems that those of us who had been sent a copy of the original version of the book have not been sent the later, revised, version. This seems to be contrary to the decision of the Committee which, I understand, was to issue the revised version gratis to all members.
Can someone please explain to me how the decision of the Committee came to be altered ?.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:23 pm 

Revised version? Just printed by a different process so far as I am aware. No change to the content?

Do Trustees ever read this, the Society's own forum? If so could you please reply to this and other treads which need "official" responses?

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:32 pm 

The Committee made the decision to include the 40th Anniversary Publication on the 26th October. Even without an in depth knowledge of the print production process, I think it can be appreciated that this is not a great deal of time to produce a mailing for early December.

I was asked to make some amends including, amongst others, the cover price (I was not at the Committee meeting as "Officers" were not invited to participate in these discussions). This 2nd printing used a different printing method and required complete new artwork to be supplied for all 92 pages.

I did not instruct the printer/mailer to exclude the 40th Publication from any member's pack; I assume this was an error in Roger's mailing and I will check. However, it has been known that other parties have contacted the printer without my knowledge in the past, so this could have happened without my knowing.

Peter Meyer
LNWRS Production

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:16 pm 

From Roger Stapleton
I contacted our Chairman regarding this matter and those members who did not receive a copy of the revised edition of this book may be interested in the correspondence set out below.

Dear Roger
Please ask Tony Waterfield by e-mail for a copy, and return your original to us and we will refund the postage.
Please note the new copy is a new edition and not a reprint.
Brian

Dear Brian
Thank you for your email. I will, as you suggest, email Tony Waterfield and request a copy of the revised version of the book.
Once I have seen it I will then decide whether to keep both copies or return one or other of them.
I know that Martin O’Shea would like a copy of the revised version and perhaps those others who did not receive a copy would appreciate being made the same offer that you have made to me.
Regards from Roger Stapleton

Dear Roger,
It applies to all members. A decision was taken contrary to the agreement at the last committee meeting.
Best wishes,
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:27 pm 

Having checked with the printer they were indeed given separate instructions and a small amount of delivery labels were marked as not to include the 40th Publication. A Trustee has confirmed to me that members who originally received complementary copies were not sent the 2nd printed version. The Membership Officer was asked to pull out these members' mailing labels separately and inform the printer accordingly.

None of this was advised to me as Production Officer.

Also, contrary to the previous entry here, this instruction did not apply to ALL members who already had a copy. This is because some members bought copies from me (and Dave Pennington) at exhibitions and, as no one has asked me for their names, the Membership Officer would not have been able to identify them and pull those out of the list. Therefore, some members will now have 2 copies.

A case of too many cooks....

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 am 

Am I being a bit dim but how do you which edition I have. Must say I have enjoyed reading the copy I have, given me a prod to get A into G and finish some off the half completed ones.

Murry