LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 am 

oldrog wrote:
Congratulations Jol - it's absolutely superb. It takes me straight back to Llandudno Junction station in 1944 except that it is far too clean and doesn't stink of fish.
In my opinion it is just the sort of model that should feature in the Journal - in full colour. Do you fancy doing a write-up?
Roger Stapleton

Roger,

already done, it appeared in the Scalefour Society NL in 2014

The article would need an update amd new captions for the photos but I can be bribed.

Jol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am 

Hi,

I've got my laser cut MDF version of Snells Nook Halt from Andy at http://www.railmodel.co.uk/ - A really nice company to deal with - I've attached a scan of a few of the parts below - they are very nicely cut and have really sharp definition on both the cut and laser 'etched' features - the fit and accuracy is perfect. Andy was very nice to deal with and was very helpful in guiding me up my design learning curve to produce the required drawings.

So conclusions - no one technique is going to produce a suitable model - I think it needs a combination of laser cutting, 3D Printing and custom work. The laser cutting is significantly cheaper than the 3D printing and for flat 2D items such as walls roof etc produces a better product - the laser etching seems to produce signs with higher sharper definition than 3D printing. So in future when making buildings I will use 3D printing which is still very good, for components that have 3D features and add 3D printed features to laser cut 2D components - obviously for locomotives and rolling stock I think 3D printing will be the way to go because of the large number of 3D components.

Being a beginner at this using smaller companies like Andy at Railmodel and Rhys at 3DPrintNscan had the benefit of using their expertise and patience to produce a model - both were very helpful. Shapeways produce the goods Ok but obviously such a large company can't respond so easily to beginners questions.

Regards

Paul