LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 am 

This magnificent 4mm scale model was displayed at Scalefournorth at Wakefield on 16 and 17 April 2015. It has been built and painted by Steve Hall using the London Road Models kit and is owned by Brian Eves.
oldrog

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:03 pm 

Well, it's time someone showed some appreciation (both of the model and Roger's action in sharing it with us), so let me be the first to say it looks super! Both Steve and Brian should be very proud of such a masterpiece - would be good to see it in action (Youtube clip, anyone?). I normally have reservations about red engines, but this is one I'm happy to make an exception for. I suspect it was probably always considered more successful than the white/lavender of Queen Empress, which I personally find a little insipid.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:58 pm 

Thank you David for those kind words. I hope you also appreciate the next bit!
THE ICING ON THE CAKE.
The following item appeared in SCALEFOURNEWS No 195 and is reproduced with permission from the Editor
The caption reads :-
There's no such thing as a free lunch; in return for installing the block instruments on Drghlington, Steve Hall built and painted a Webb 2-2-2-2 from the London Road Models kit for Brian, When Brian turned 60 in September, his daughter borrowed the model and had a cake made, featuring a scale depiction of the
Attachment:
img025 (4).jpg
LNWR engine, funnily enough at 6mm to the foot. Brian never realized his model had been missing for three weeks! Photo: Helen Eves

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:50 pm 

Ah, I'd parked that article for reading next time my concentration seems a bit better than normal (signalling not exactly being my forte ...) - but obviously I should have scanned the content more carefully, then I'd have known what I was missing. Hope the cake tasted as good as it looks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:46 pm 

Hi David
I have just spoken to Brian Eves who assured me that he had the will power to stick a knife into that cake and that it tasted good. I could never have carried out such vandalism!
I hope I have convinced him that he must join the Society.
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am 

Chuffing Speed
I had the pleasure of meeting Brian at Scale4North last Saturday and was given a closer look at ‘Greater Britain’ – it is magnificent!
Brian mentioned that it was fitted with DCC and sound and I replied that I hoped he had got the sound right as it should have only two chuffs per wheel revolution. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Webb three-cylinder compounds gave two enormous chuffs per rev. and the surge could be felt down the length of the train.
Was what I told Brian correct or have I misled him?
oldrog