Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:00 pm 

this issue has an article 'The Irish Railway Diaries of G J Aston 1946'
link : http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20185/185Aston.htm
which includes the following :
Wednesday, August 21

The Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Railway has altered somewhat since its L&NWR days, and although the coaches were still there in their old colours, not one of the Webb tanks was to be seen at any point. The 10:05 from Newry was worked by one of the small GN 2‑4‑2 tanks, No. 91, and the train consisted of four of the DN&GR six-wheelers and one from the GNR(I). The track is very grass-grown, and the red distant signals remind one of former times. At Omeath, where the Éire customs disport themselves, the only timetable exhibited was the relevant page of the WTT pasted on the waiting room window - goods trains and all! – and one noted in passing, the ‘”Grand Central Hotel”, a particularly squalid pub adjoining the station.

Greenore is a place where the glory has long since departed. It now has one cargo boat a week, and it is difficult to see where the few passengers in the trains find their motive. The subways to the quayside are barriered off, but one can walk round the landward end of the goods shed, where very little activity was going on. The hotel seemed pretty quiet, despite the demand for holiday accommodation in Éire, and the few people who were about all made a bee-line for the refreshment room! GN No. 90 of the same 2‑4‑2T class took away the coaches which had arrived from Newry, and the 10:25 from Dundalk, due to arrive at 11:17, and running only 1 minute late, was used for the 11:20 out to Dundalk - one of the tightest turn-rounds I have ever seen at a terminal station, especially in Ireland. This was a real League of Nations train, as it comprised a GN 3rd, GS compo, GS 3rd, DNG 3rd and DNG brake, all six-wheelers, brought in by GN No. 94, and worked out by No. 91. The bank out of Greenore proved rather heavy going, and we lost time steadily all the way, our two minutes late start being turned into 8 mins late arrival at Dundalk, Quay St., where I deemed it prudent to alight, as I wanted to go forward by the 12:30 Clones Goods from the adjoining Barrack Street Yard, though this meant leaving the bit of line from Quay St. to Barrack Street Junction uncovered.

The signalman at Barrack St. Junction assured me that the 12:30 would leave quite soon; it was ready made up and only waiting for an engine. The guard, sitting in the box, was not so sanguine.

trust this to be of interest
john martin