LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:15 pm 

There is a British Pathe sequence available to view on-line showing soldiers preparing to embark an LNWR train, possibly at an LNWR station, in 1914. Does anyone recognise the station or regiment?

The link is:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/soldiers-embarking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:38 pm 

Almost certainly an LNWR station - signal in distance, station lamps, notice about crossing the line by the bridge: all are LNWR-type. But where? The footbridge, the short length of covered platform, the roof valance and the distant overbridge are useful clues, but I can't place it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:28 pm 

Harry,

Two thoughts spring to mind although id suspect both probable red herrings

1. Is it somewhere on the North Wales coast line as I seem to recall reading somewhere the Army/Territorials of the day used to get a train to a destination in N Wales for trainging camp purposes. The picture with the text though seemed to suggest the train was stopped at a halt/next to a field, not a station. it might even have been a journal..

2. Is it an LNWR commandered stock working on a foreign line, taking part of the expeditionary force south from barracks to head to france?

I wonder if an archives search might turn up anything, id guess imputting Military trains would be the starting point

David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm 

David,

Perhaps you are thinking of Conway Morfa, described and illustrated in An Historical Survey of the Chester to Holyhead Railway by V. R. Anderson and G. K. Fox (OPC, 1984). Plates 197-9 show lots of army tents on Conway Marsh, a column of marching troops, and a double-headed (two SDX class?) train of at least 14 carriages.

As you say, the station there was a very basic halt, and nothing like the one in the film extract.

I'm pretty sure the film shows an LNWR station, and while it could be in almost any part of the country, given the movement of troops far & wide during the war, the details of the station - its size, the distant overbridge, the footbridge just at the end of the building - might be enough to identify it. Still looking!

Harry.