LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zeppelin Centenary
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:33 am 

Last weekend I attended 'Zep Fest' , nothing to do with the modern popular beat combo, but a commemoration of a superZeppelin raid on London on 23/24th Sep 1916 which ended with two of the four airships coming down in Essex. This raid is recorded in Edwin Pratt's 'War Record' book as being the night when the NLR at Devons Road sustained damage, including the connections to the LNWR goods depot. Zeppelin L32 came down in flames over Billericay and L33 made it to Little Wigborough where it was scuttled and set alight by the Captain. The Zep Fest took place here. Pieces of the wreckage and souvenirs were on display. The further LNWR connection was that stampings from the framework of one or other of these Zeppelins were sold in 1916, attached to cards, as souvenirs 'for the benefit of the L&N.W.R. War Seal Fund' . I have two different examples in my collection. The larger records the date and has a piece of framework shaped like a side view of the Zeppelin. The other has a cross (like an Iron Cross) on a short piece of cord, described as a "Zepp" Charm. None of the experts there could tell me if the scrap Duralumin (and there was a lot of it in these huge airships) from L32 and L33 was shipped from Essex to Crewe or other works for reuse in manufacture of armaments, or how the LNWR charity might have come to benefit otherwise. Pratt makes no reference; any evidence from elsewhere?
Melvyn