LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 pm 

We are very pleased to announce the winners of the LNWR Colourised Photographs Competition as follows:

Rolling stock category - Joshua Barrett.
Infrastructure/ Miscellaneous category - Mark Judd.
Locomotive category - Stephen Arrendale.

As I am sure you would agree, the standard of entry was very high and their and other artist's offerings very enjoyable to look at. For me it was great to see what the LNWR might have actually looked like in 'everyday colour'.

Finally, we would like to express our sincere thanks to all who entered the competition and to those that voted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 pm 

A GWR locomotive at Manchester Exchange.The Great Western did have running powers from Chester to Warrington and Manchester.But how often they were exercised is open to conjecture.Maybe there was a regular exchange of engines and crews,to learn alternative roads
in case of emergencies.An example I know of is Exeter St Davids to Plymouth,both North Road via Newton Abbot and Friary Stations via Okehampton by Southern/Western crews and engines in steam days.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 pm 

I have had a look at a working timetable for 1909. The line from Chester to the junctions south of Warrington was 'Birkenhead Joint' and would provide the access to Manchester Exchange for the GWR. I know (from accident reports) that some passenger trains on the other limb of the Birkenhead Joint - Chester to Birkenhead, comprised an LNW set of carriages hauled by a GWR loco (and their drivers did not like the chain brake they had to use(!)). The timetable refers to 'Joint passenger' trains, which were presumably these, and 'LNW passenger' which were presumably not. GWR goods trains on the Manchester line seem not to have gone any further than Warrington and I am not aware that they had any depot in Manchester. Therefore GWR locomotives on passenger trains may have been a fairly common sight in Cottonopolis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 pm 

I have had a look at a working timetable for 1909. The line from Chester to the junctions south of Warrington was 'Birkenhead Joint' and would provide the access to Manchester Exchange for the GWR. I know (from accident reports) that some passenger trains on the other limb of the Birkenhead Joint - Chester to Birkenhead, comprised an LNW set of carriages hauled by a GWR loco (and their drivers did not like the chain brake they had to use(!)). The timetable refers to 'Joint passenger' trains, which were presumably these, and 'LNW passenger' which were presumably not. GWR goods trains on the Manchester line seem not to have gone any further than Warrington and I am not aware that they had any depot in Manchester. Therefore GWR locomotives on passenger trains may have been a fairly common sight in Cottonopolis.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:46 pm 

Good points Tim!

The ref to chain brake would of course refer to the period before about 1885 when it was replaced by the "simple" vacuum brake - and then c1890-92 by the automatic vacuum brake. See my recent article in the Journal.

The GWR had running powers for P & G trains over the LNWR into Manchester, and did indeed run a service of Express Goods trains to Manchester Liverpool Road via Warrington and the L&M line. I'm sure these should be in your 1909 WTT - look in the ND and NED Sections for the L&M line. There was also a service of passenger trains to Manchester Exchange via the same route, but I don't have the details to hand. I'll try to find some time to look them up later.

I should add that the recent Journal articles on Liverpool Road and the fire mentioned accommodation for the GWR, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by reginstone on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:47 pm 

** separate post deleted!

Last edited by reginstone on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:25 pm 

In May 1903 the GWR ran 5 Express Goods trains each weekday (morning) to Ordsall Lane and Manchester Liverpool Road. At that date there were no GWR passenger trains to Exchange - when did they cease?