LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Replica Bloomer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:35 am 

The replica bloomer that stood outside Milton Keynes station for a number of years before being moved to Wolverton Works has again been relocated.

The Milton Keynes Gazette (local free paper) dated 9th March reported that it had been moved to Milton Keynes Museum at Stacy Bushes on Friday 3rd March where it is presumably intended to be put on public display. The report shows it being moved on a low-loader from the works en-route to the museum.

Peter Spedding

Post subject: Re: Replica Bloomer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:41 pm 

Thanks, Peter.

After so many years of uncertainty and doubt about the future (if any) of No. 1009 Wolverton, this sounds like good news. Maybe this move will also put an end to the repeated suggestion that the engine would look prettier if painted in vermilion, rather than LNWR black.

Or maybe this news will revive it; let's hope not!

Harry Jack.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:40 pm 

It is definitely painted black Harry! Though from the murky picture I have seen I am not sure that it is lined out.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:57 pm 

Here's the museum's side of the story.
http://www.miltonkeynesmuseum.org.uk/bl ... mk-museum/

Note it says "The stone blocks on which the loco now sits came from the embankment along McConnell Drive and were discovered to be some of those originally laid by Stephenson along the line!" The blocks were probably taken up before the Bloomers were built but lets not be pedantic, its a nice idea. There are hundreds of blocks in that wall but I'll be interested to see what they have done for chairs since modern ones won't fit the holes in the stones. I have a real L&B chair of they'd like to copy it, but suspect the cost would be far too high.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:58 pm 

Thank you Harry for your very quick response.

Two additional bits of information that I could have added are that the Museum has recently been granted finance for two new galleries and I would think that the Bloomer move is not unconnected with this, also the road on which the Museum is situated is called McConnell Drive which must make the Bloomer feel very much at home!

Peter Spedding

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:32 pm 

Thanks again Peter, and thanks for the museum link Mike.

I'm glad to see that the front smokebox handrail has now been added. This was omitted in the rush to get the engine finished for the unveiling in October 1991, but after its removal from MK station into Wolverton Works one of the apprentices made and fitted the handrail. One small item also overlooked in the rush was the smokebox door grab-handle, but I suppose that could be added at some time.

If 1009 is plain black, perhaps there is also a chance that lining could be added, with correct corner curves on the footplate sidesheets - they were originally painted with too-sharp corners, again because of the last-minute rush. But maybe nobody noticed.

That story (in the Museum item) that the 'Bloomer' nickname arose because the engines revealed more of their "legs" is of course nonsense (before then, most S Div locos had naked wheels) but, like the vermilion livery legend, it seems quite impossible to kill.

Harry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 pm 

An item on page 7 of the new (March - April) issue of "Steam Railway" reports that a meeting was to be held on March 18th to "hear ambitious plans for the future of Vintage Trains and Tyseley Locomotive Works. This may involve the construction of an all-new terminus at Tyseley Warwick Road and completion of the part-built LNWR 'Bloomer' 2-2-2."

Has anyone any information as to what transpired?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 pm 

I have heard that there is a desire to complete the engine to running order or for display - depending on financial support/sponsorship available.
Regards
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:04 pm 

I believe they were bequeathed about £40,000 over ten years ago, so that should be more than enough for a static display. So I wonder what's stopping them?

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 pm 

Mike Williams wrote:
I believe they were bequeathed about £40,000 over ten years ago, so that should be more than enough for a static display. So I wonder what's stopping them?

Mike

That's a good question, Mike.

Peter Stanton asked about its progress on the National Preservation website on 7th August last year. This revived an old Tyseley Single Wheeler thread which started in 2010, but had been dead for a year. His enquiry was followed by only one brief reply about the Bloomer's completion from Tyseley's 'Mr Vintage Trains':
"£150k and within 12 months of receiving the check."

One 'Miff' then asked, on the same day, for an address to send his cheque "and I'd like to be sure it would go to the Bloomer project rather than a general donations fund."

Although the thread continued until 20th October, with 123 messages in all from August, there was not another word from anyone in charge at Tyseley.

There is no organised fund for the Bloomer project, but Tyseley makes it very easy to subscribe towards the renovation of yet another - the eighth - GWR 'Castle' class engine.

They'll get nowt from me.

Harry.