LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LNWR Hand Lamps
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:09 pm 

An enquiry from me for a change:

When hand lamps were broken for whatever reason they were sent off for repair, that much I know for certain, presumably to Crewe or one of the other works.

The bit I don't know for certain is once the hand lamp had been sent for repair, did the repairing shop send the next available lamp back to the Station which had sent in a lamp for repair, or did that Station have to wait for its allocated lamp to be repaired and returned?

I suspect it is the former but I have no evidence to support this. Can anyone help?

Thank you

David

Post subject: Re: LNWR Hand Lamps
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am 

I don't know, but as the lamps often had a brass plate attached showing their usage/location, I would have thought that after repair the lamp would have been sent back to its original location. But perhaps not.

There is an article on LNWR Standard Lamps (Carriage Department) in the Journal of the Historical Model Railway Society Volume 9 No.4 (October-December 1994) showing the amazing variety of different lamps in use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:19 pm 

Thinking about this further, I would imagine that when a lamp required overhaul or repair it would be returned to the works, and temporarily replaced at that location by a "spare" or "pool" lamp, which woud be exchanged for the repaired lamp in due course. But this is purely conjecture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm 

A LNWR three aspect handlamp, the body stamped, LNWR, BODORGAN, COACHING, a station in Anglesey on the Chester to Holyhead route. The lamp is repainted, the door catch replaced. (Great Central Raillwayana Auctions)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:11 pm 

Hello Philip,

After I had posted I had a thought and did a search in the Journal listing on the web site, and found that lamps had been covered previously in Volume 4 number 4 by Jeremy Cookson and Tom Bowen.
http://lnwrs.org.uk/searchjournal/title ... mit=Submit

Having studied the article in detail, and read about the markings, plates and that sometime a plate is seamlessly attached, I came to the same conclusion that they must have been returned to whence they came, as replacing the plate on a lamp every time it was repaired in a seamless manner as described in the article would have been a time consuming job and costly job, not one I can see the frugal LNWR standing for when the required repair could be undertaken and the lamp sent back out. I can see them sanctioning the work though for a lamp which was being reallocated to a new station, as it would have been cheaper to make the new plate than a new lamp.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, this does form part of a future article from me but only a small point of a wider ranging set of notes on a document.

David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm 

Although none of this addresses the original question, I'm a bit concerned that some of the above thread may generate misunderstanding that it was usual for handlamps to have plates attached to indicate their location/allocation. From my own experience of handling these lamps over the years and the information in Jeremy Cookson and Tom Bowen's paper, in summary:
Most (surviving) handlamps actually originated from Wolverton, with a lesser number of Crewe origin.
Of Wolverton types, the less common, small pattern 'Inspectors' lamps did carry small brass or steel plates (or were painted) with the name of the assigned officer and possibly also their district of work.
The commonest handlamps, the standard pattern Wolverton lamps, were stamped with L&NWR CAR(R) DEPT WOLVERTON on the reducing cone. The location, where mentioned, is stamped into the body - not on a plate. This stamping is normally, but not always, on the right hand side of the body as you look at the lens. Occasionally you can see a changed location indicated by overstamping (perhaps with solder used to obliterate original wording) or even a fresh stamping on the other side of the body. Lamps are infrequently found where a new layer of tinplating has been let into the side to obscure the stamping of the original location; then sometime left plain, sometimes then stamped with a different location.
Crewe pattern lamps have a brass plate on the reducing cone stating LONDON & NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY MAKERS LOCOMOTIVE DEPARTMENT CREWE, but may also have a location identified on the body by stamping.
There are, as might be expected, also non standard patterns, and occasional brass or steel plates may found on these.
One final bit of information about dealing with damaged lamps in the LMS era comes from the notice ERO 52085 which requires that lamps thought to be in need of repair should initially be sent to the local District Signal and Telegraph Engineer's Inspector.