LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: TPO Services
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:39 pm 

Mike,
You should have said, always wanted feedback including constructive criticism. One of big problems with site was pages and pages with there own copy of menus. Managed to reduce to just a few which meant was ready to make easier to find sections as well as move around the site.

Occasionally couldn't find things myself, couldn't understand why no one complained !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am 

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, another source for TPOs is the LNWR Marshalling Instructions booklets produced at each timetable change - normally 3 times each year. These list all the vehicles on each train, including pass and some other coaching stock trains, and ought to distinguish between vans with and without pick-up gear.

I haven't checked to see if all TPO services are included, but hopefully they are.

We have a number of these booklets at the Archive (from 1904 onwards), but afaik none have yet been digitised. There are others at NRM and in private collections. All of which is not much use to anyone overseas, of course, but if you have specific queries one of us can look up details for you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:24 am 

I came across an article about the TPO in one of the LNWR Gazette's can't remember which one. It is good to have these but hard to book mark also noticed one had some pages missing. I must admit a preference for the real thing but the online ones are better than nothing. Reading/ seeing the casualty list is quiet sobering. Have been reading a book on the New Zealand actions at Passchendaele which was the name of a NZR Locomotive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:18 pm 

murryb wrote:
I came across an article about the TPO in one of the LNWR Gazette's can't remember which one. It is good to have these but hard to book mark also noticed one had some pages missing. I must admit a preference for the real thing but the online ones are better than nothing. Reading/ seeing the casualty list is quiet sobering. Have been reading a book on the New Zealand actions at Passchendaele which was the name of a NZR Locomotive.

Murry B Thanks for the feedback. There is a bookmark feature which I will unlock to see if this helps. We are still somewhat feeling our way with the technology.

Mike M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm 

MurryB

Since my earlier response all Gazettes have now been reformatted to allow Bookmarking and printing. I would appreciate your feedback on both.

Mike M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:39 am 

Can I just point out that the LNWR Gazette TPO article can easily be located on Dave Pennington's bibliography here http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/biblio01.php

which gives you
The Travelling Post Office. Inc photos of TPO external and internal. 1916 05/42 36

Yes we can improve, and make things easier and quicker to find, but it's not like they were impossible to find before!