LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LNWR Office Furniture
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:02 pm 

An enquiry has been forwarded by a group who have rescued a quantity of LNW office furniture from Llandudno station and wish to restore it to LNW condition.
Their enquiry is, 'What colour would it have been painted, There appear to be traces of maroon, similar to the carriage colour of the saloon on the Bluebell Rly. Beneath that are traces of blue'.
Can anyone enlighten us further on this question?
My own thoughts are, was office furniture made at Wolverton? If so , the paint used for carriages would in all likelihood, be used for the furniture, a good dark, hard wearing colour.

David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:44 pm 

Well, two original blueprints sold on e-bay this week were Wolverton drawings, one of an office chair and the other a station bench seat, so yes, at least some office furniture was made at Wolverton.

All the office furniture I have or have seen, is varnished wood. Never seen any painted. That's not to say it wasn't, but maybe that was a BR "improvement"?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:40 am 

Mike Williams wrote:
Well, two original blueprints sold on e-bay this week were Wolverton drawings, one of an office chair and the other a station bench seat, so yes, at least some office furniture was made at Wolverton.

All the office furniture I have or have seen, is varnished wood. Never seen any painted. That's not to say it wasn't, but maybe that was a BR "improvement"?

Mike

Agreed. AFAIK all the office furniture in Wolveron works was varnished wood, not painted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:58 pm 

Has the group got photos of the furniture they can supply? Or if they are local to Llandudno still is it possible to arrange contact so I can possibly visit when at my parents in Wales?

Might not be a bad idea to examine the underside of the chair and see what possible traces of slipped brush left behind, would be the best preserved area

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:47 am 

Good point David. And, of course, that is where they should be stamped "LNWR" - beneath a side rail somewhere.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:40 pm 

David

I understand that they are a group who have rescued the LNWR furniture with the aim of restoring it and who will eventually display it at the Corwen station on the Llangollen Railway,which in a previous life, had been a joint station with the LNWR, thus being quite an appropriate project.
I think they are a group local to Llandudno who have rescued the items but if you contact the Llangollen railway, they may give you the contact details.

David Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:05 pm 

David P,

I will attempt to make contact with them and arrange something if possible, if I can get photos I will post them on here

I wonder how long it had been in use and then possibly stored? If you think about it its got to be at least 90+change years old now, not a bad age for furniture when you compare it against the modern stuff we have, where my drawers at work are 5 years old and falling apart already

David