LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 pm 

David
J M Dunn's 'Reflections on a railway career' has two chapters on Bangor and well worth reading, if you've not already done so. There is a wealth of information in the archive at Kenilworth which originated from Max Dunn - some of which is catalogued and some not. Some of Dunn's information was the source of much of Bill Rear's book.
Attached is from an as yet uncatalogued document, and are sketches done by Max Dunn in 1945 of Bangor shed. I hope they are of interest.
Pete

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 am 

David
Have you thought about using Templot for the track work. Takes a bit to get your head around it, has an excellent on line forum with plenty of help, also a lots of videos. It is quite satisfying to see a plan come together. Then you have to construct the track work.
Murry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 pm 

Phillip,

That is a fair point. Was there a purpose built Royal Saloon at the time, I seem to recall Queen Adelaides being the first?

Pete,

That is just amazing. I have Jack Nelson's book which gives an awful lot of information about the structures, but to see Dunn's drawings, wow. I have read his Reflections book and found it most interesting, sadly most of the Bangor information is from the LMS to BR era but it does give insight into the issues of a cramped Bangor Station. His "The Chester and Holyhead Railway" book is also a fascinating read, and has confirmed some dates I was unsure about. It has also raised the quandry as below

Murry

At the moment it has been done on Wallpaper but I am thinking about an electronic solution to be able to play around with it easier, that said me and computers dont get on so well but I will have a look at Templot.

I seem to have two dates for Royal visits to Bangor. 1852, where the Britania Bridge had been completed and was inspected by a Royal party. Then in 1859 the Lord Penrhyn invitation for Her Majesty to visit him where she stopped for 3 days. Can anybody help me with determing if this was two seperate visits, or was it the same visit at one or other dates?

The other thing that I am coming up short on is the Engineering facilities, I have not got a date for the builing that was Northlight pattern at the back with a double storey frontage containing the offices. I believe that The district Engineer here was responsible for everything West of Chester. If anyone has any more details I would be greatful

Thank you All

David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 pm 

The earlier visit was in October 1852. I can send you a very long report of the journey but the file is to large to post here.

Martin O'Keeffe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:28 pm 

Hi,

Some interesting aerial shots on Britain from above......... for example from 1946............

You will need to join the website to be able to zoom in on the images available..............(I hope the code below works to give you an idea of the detail available) - If the image appears disjointed then zoom OUT until it displays correctly on your screen

ImageImageImageImageImage

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by rd84 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:03 pm 

A few thoughts:

Have you looked at minutes of LNWR Passenger Traffic Committee, Goods Traffic Committee, Loco Committee, PW, Works & Estates Committee? I probably have some extracts in my files, but they will not be comprehensive for Bangor. You really need to look at the index volumes in RAIL410.

Staff records for C&H Div, Traffic Dept, are at Chester Record Office and can be searched online. You may not want to go the extent of listing every porter etc but at least you can count the number of staff employed. And maybe list the station Masters and their terms of office?

Have you searched the Society Archive catalogues? (on the website)

Bangor was the home of the Red Wharf Bay motor trains (from 1907) and the Bethesda ones (from 1913). I have done a great deal of work on these.

Local Coach Working Diagrams for the C&H are available for several years, I think 1912 and 1915 from memory.

I also have photocopies of WTTs for most years 1903 to 1922, but only for the branches. I baulked at copying all the Main Line pages. But I know where all the originals are.

We (Richard Foster and I) have a card index to signalboxes, showing dates, types, sizes etc. And much other S&T information also.

If you look carefully at my Deganwy article, there is at least as much info available for Bangor, of the same types, in fact considerably more ..

As is usually the case, there is huge amounts of info out there if only you know where to find it. The real problem is finding time to copy, read, absorb and digest it all!!!

Hope this helps, Reg