LNWR Society Forum

Forum (only) for members of the LNWR Society
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heaton Chapel Station
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:47 pm 
Dear All

This query has come in via the Chairman's email address:

"I am a member of the Friends of Heaton Chapel Station and I wonder if you can advise about the original naming of this station in 1852; currently it is called Heaton Chapel Station.

Before 1974, our station was called Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor station. The railway line is actually the boundary line between these two districts of Stockport. Prior to 1852, Heaton Moor was mainly farmland, rapidly developed with large villa-type housing after 1852, becoming a commuter station for wealthy businessmen from Manchester nearby. Heaton Chapel has existed since 1750.

The station was built in 1852, and I would like to know if originally it was called Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor station then, or just Heaton Chapel station? If it was the latter, when did the name change to include Heaton Moor?"

All the best

David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:58 am 

According to The Railways around Stockport by Gregory K. Fox (Foxline Publishing, 1986) the station was renamed 'Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor' on 1st January 1916.

From timetables it seems to have been simply 'Heaton Chapel' from its opening, and photographs taken in the 1880s show this on the station nameboards. One such is plate 3 in the Greg Fox book, said there to be dated "c.1905" but the photo was actually taken between 1885 and 1895. Another, obviously taken at the same time, is in O. S. Nock's Premier Line (Ian Allan, 1952) and clearly shows the nameboard behind Webb compound tank No. 687 (p111).

Strangely, the actual opening date of the station is doubtful. It is given in sources as 1852, either in January or December. Local newspapers might yield an exact date, or Bradshaw's timetables might suggest which of these months is the correct one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:10 am 
Dear All

Peter Spedding has supplied the following:

"Heaton Chapel Station was opened as Heaton Chapel in January 1852, renamed as Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor in January 1916 and reverted to Heaton Chapel in May 1974.

I used the station daily commuting from Davenport to Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor during my school days."

All the best

David